Sign in to follow this  
jaredp

Extreme Cold PoE Plus Solution

Hello all,

I'm looking at setting up a home surveillance system. The issue is that I live in Canada and any camera would need to be able to withstand -40 C temperatures.

I understand that heating is needed for this sort of extreme cold application, and for the most part, heated IP cameras require external power in addition to PoE Ethernet.

I would like to avoid running separate power. From my searching, it seems that PoE plus (802.3at) can provide 25 Watts of power, which is sufficient for a -40 C rated camera.

I can only find one IP camera manufacturer around the ~$600 range rated for -40 temperatures that uses PoE plus, which is BRICKcom. However I can't find many other alternatives in this price range. I'd like to compare the options I have available, so does anyone have any recommendations for these requirements? Or is my price range too low?

Thanks,

Jared

EDIT:

Particular products I've been looking at:

It looks like the VD is a hybrid between a true day/night and an IR NV camera, because it has the mechanical IR lens AND the forward IR LEDs.

BRICKcom OB-302Ap

Bullet cam, 802.3at rated -40C, 3mp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033123-REG/brickcom_ob_302ap_kit_3mp_outdoor_bullet.html

BRICKcom VD-302Np

vandal dome, 802.3at rated -40C, 3mp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1033111-REG/brickcom_vd_302np_3mp_full_hd.html

BRICKcom 44V PoE injectors

BRICKcom NR-1104

NVR, 1 bay, 8 channel

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1104929-REG/brickcom_nr_1104_4_channel_1_bay_linux_embedded.html

Hello all,

I'm looking at setting up a home surveillance system. The issue is that I live in Canada and any camera would need to be able to withstand -40 C temperatures.

I understand that heating is needed for this sort of extreme cold application, and for the most part, heated IP cameras require external power in addition to PoE Ethernet.

I would like to avoid running separate power. From my searching, it seems that PoE plus (802.3at) can provide 25 Watts of power, which is sufficient for a -40 C rated camera.

I can only find one IP camera manufacturer around the ~$600 range rated for -40 temperatures that uses PoE plus, which is BRICKcom. However I can't find many other alternatives in this price range. I'd like to compare the options I have available, so does anyone have any recommendations for these requirements? Or is my price range too low?

Thanks,

Jared

I had the same concern few years ago

then I tried few HIK turrets in Alberta and so far so good

Now I have lot more of them installed all over the place

no problem

I leave in Quebec and I run this for cameras until few years without any problem.

2x HIKVision DS-2CD2032. 1920 x 1080, 30 fps.

2x Dahua PTZ SD3282DN 1920 x 1080 30 fps.