bob_4323

POE Switch and DC Connector splitter

Hi I am considering using a POE switch to power some mini IP Cameras:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-4-Port-Ethernet-10-100M-PoE-Switch-Hub-for-IP-Camera-Power-Supplier-/121535641408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4c16b740

AM i right to think that you no longer need additional transformers, the POE switch supplies the power.

I also want to power a separate microphone - situated next to each camera - can someone tell me if this will work:

One end of CAT45 plugged into POE Switch,

Other end of CAT45 fitted with POE Splitter,

the 12v DC Connector end split, feeding 1) camera 2) Mic

(obviously the CAT45 from the splitter then goes into camera)

Also, the power supply that came with the camera (12v +/- 2.0A), make the cameras run quite hot - do POE switches supply a more measured current.

858068832_Capture-splitter.thumb.JPG.8dbcd9e98a8d3af5ecefa80ac6effa92.JPG

In general, this won't work. The adapters you show are for putting in a random DC voltage at one end and taking it out the other, and there aren't any standards for this.

POE switches negotiate with the device before they supply voltage so nothing gets burned up, and those splitters likely can't negotiate. Some switches will enable POE with a resistor across the appropriate lines.

POE may use different wire pairs, depending on the configuration - see this web page: http://pinoutsguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

There's a good chance the splitter you're looking at doesn't pass the voltage to the next connector, so if it did split it out, it might not power the camera.

Also, a POE switch puts out 48Vdc, so even if your adapter splits out the right connections, it wouldn't be the right voltage for the mic and would likely burn it out.

To run a POE camera and a mic from the same cable, you'd need a POE splitter like the TP-Link TL-POE10R, which lets you convert POE to 12V, 9V, or 5V. I don't think this passes the POE through but am not sure, so you'd need a Y splitter, with one side going to the camera and the other going to the TL-POE10R. I've never tried this, so it may not work, but this is what I'd try.

Finally, POE generally runs hotter than 12V, as the voltage needs to be stepped down from 48V, which generates more heat that going straight in at 12V.

Hi,

Thats all really helpful, thanks.

I ordered them all and it worked with a mini cctv camera, albeit with the camera a little hot - but I am informed that is how they are.

Knowing a POE switch supplies a more measured supply - I think that is the way to go though.

Thanks again.