wnix

Need some good advice on new system (POE outdoor)

Ok so I have a rather large 2.5~ acre property I want to get up cameras around the house to monitor. I believe what I want is POE cameras, currently I have some bullet cams setup with dongles to run over cat5 to a dvr which I believe is failing. I like the idea of incorporating a computer over a DVR.

What I understand is the cameras run over cat5 to a POE hub, and that's about it. I need some help with what all I will need to get this system operational. I will put some extra HDDs in the computer for video storage. Or more likely just one large one. I want to run the signal out of the computer to a nearby secondary monitor if possible. It would be easy enough just to duplicate the screens but when the computer is in use the camera screen will not be very useful, so if I could run the camera signal to the designated monitor that would be best.

Any other hardware I need? Recommended software? Being able to view the stream on iphone/android would be superb.

I believe Dahua and HikVision look appealing to me. Seeing that picture from Bullwinkel really got me excited, that's the quality I would like.

link here: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37200

About 100 foot of quality night vision would be ideal. No less.

So camera recommendations? And other hardware needed? And a little bit of a guide on getting the system setup and running? Thank you!

Ok so I have a rather large 2.5~ acre property I want to get up cameras around the house to monitor. I believe what I want is POE cameras, currently I have some bullet cams setup with dongles to run over cat5 to a dvr which I believe is failing. I like the idea of incorporating a computer over a DVR.

What I understand is the cameras run over cat5 to a POE hub, and that's about it. I need some help with what all I will need to get this system operational. I will put some extra HDDs in the computer for video storage. Or more likely just one large one. I want to run the signal out of the computer to a nearby secondary monitor if possible. It would be easy enough just to duplicate the screens but when the computer is in use the camera screen will not be very useful, so if I could run the camera signal to the designated monitor that would be best.

Any other hardware I need? Recommended software? Being able to view the stream on iphone/android would be superb.

I believe Dahua and HikVision look appealing to me. Seeing that picture from Bullwinkel really got me excited, that's the quality I would like.

link here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37200

So camera recommendations? And other hardware needed? And a little bit of a guide on getting the system setup and running? Thank you!

You are not going to get 100f of quality night vision any camera unless you have a large lens or get a ptz with optical zoom and strong IR...when you are zoomed in like that you will have a very narrow fov...mount the cameras closer to your target.

If needed you can purchase an external IR Light source that itself has a sensor that will turn on and off as needed and mount it in the direction that you need to cover.

You can use the search engine of your choice using search terms like "ip camera infrared illuminator for night vision".

Please note the claimed distance for anything you locate and also make sure others have purchased same and that it has many excellent reviews. If there are few reviews or low rated reviews, please look at another external IR light source product vs. risking getting a lemon.

Don

link here: http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37200

You are not going to get 100f of quality night vision any camera unless you have a large lens or get a ptz with optical zoom and strong IR...when you are zoomed in like that you will have a very narrow fov...mount the cameras closer to your target.

Perhaps I worded wrong. Some of these nicer Dahua/Hikvision cameras around the $100-180 range state 30m IR range. And I'm sure that's good enough.

The camera we have now was purchased at monoprice about 3 years ago for about $180, at that time it was one of their better cameras. It's alright, but I'm not too impressed. So anything better will be great. a 3mp camera I'm sure will impress.

Perhaps I worded wrong. Some of these nicer Dahua/Hikvision cameras around the $100-180 range state 30m IR range. And I'm sure that's good enough.

The camera we have now was purchased at monoprice about 3 years ago for about $180, at that time it was one of their better cameras. It's alright, but I'm not too impressed. So anything better will be great. a 3mp camera I'm sure will impress.

Very few cameras live up to their claimed IR ranges of 30m at any good quality at that distance, when the IR lights are in the camera itself.

Also, you're better off to have as much IR light as possible for any camera that is 2MP or greater if you truly want to be able to see distances clearly at 100 feet, in near or complete darkness. With high quality.

Other advantages of using an external IR light source are that if you decide to get a camera with a zoom lens and/or PTZ. You might see something that you might have not seen at night in the cameras view in better quality which you can now zoom into and/or move the cameras position towards.

Some cameras when using their latest firmware can even do "object tracking" so if they have a viewing area that's of quality, the camera can use its PTZ controls and/or its zoom lens to zoom in or out to automatically track objects based on how you set this feature up. That said of course the camera would need to have a high quality view at night to do this correctly.

You can set the minimum/maximum size an object must be to auto track it and place restrictions on where in the cameras view an object that meets that criteria should be auto tracked. This make sure your not auto tracking pets or small wild life or auto tracking objects in areas of the cameras view that you wish to exclude. Avoiding false positives. Once tracking is complete, you can set a default zoom and/or PTZ for the camera to reposition to. After the set time of your choice.

Hikvision actually has a live camera, that shows this feature in action, working in real-time.

Had you not said "About 100 foot of quality night vision would be ideal. No less" then I wouldn't have mentioned this. Operative words being "quality" and "no less".

Don

Edited by Guest

Keep in mind that you cannot even get a good day image at that distance with respect to being able to ID anyone with those cameras. The new 4mp hikvision have improved low light image, though if night vision is primary I would go with their new 2mp cameras which should be better at night than the 4mp, they are certainly better than the 3mp variants.

Hikvision also have bullet cameras with very strong IR built in..

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9883

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9925

http://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products_show.asp?id=9929

Please allow me to add.

No image sensor makers develope their sensors, targeting for CCTV Video Cameras, because the market is considered very small. They are always shooting for much bigger industry (20 times larger)- cameras for smart phones. CEOs and RnDs are driven that way. CMOS sensor is cheap but well known for its sub-par performance under low lighted conditions, say at night. CCD is known to be better but dropped out because they can not compete price-wise in smart phone market -price cutting war. It is also true that CMOS sensor is improving a lot, due to severe competitions among them, as well.

CMOS image sensor needs a certain physical time to accumulate electrons to a certain voltage level to be represented as pixel value. As it is used for video camera, 30 frames per second could give the time period- 33 mili second, not enough long period under low light. In low lighted, video can be very susceptible to electric noises inherent to circuit, leading to low video quality. Dropping number of frames per second could lengthen its accumulation time perid. Or increasing number of pixels (sensor cell,area) to accumulate more electrons for enough clear resolution. It seems to me that 4MP sensor might be the one that was used for 720P cameras, equivalent to 2:1, horizontally and vertically sub-sampled. Remember that premium sensor makers do not care about CCTV industry.

Simply expanding number of effective pixels, say from 720P to 4MP could help some revenues for camera makers because most people could believe the more numbering could carry better resolution, when actually not. I never saw its TVL chart for 30FPS video sequences. I hope some forum members would post it.

Simply increasing number of pixels would carry some drawbacks, without providng more fine details effectively. Most of Harware Chipsets have to be very limited to a certain frame rate, whether it is for IP camera side or Standalone NVR side. Even Software NVR needs to adjust its decoding parameters for recording bit streams or playing back or spot monitoring videos. The CPU for running software may prove not powerful enough. Some others may not carry the monitors enough for 4MP resolution. If limited to 2MP, 4MP sized video should be scaled down for being viewed on 1080P monitor. More HDD storage is needed. More network traffic load and increasing software -buffering for already installed cameras, more tunings, and more time latencies, if I list down further. I mean the world is not fully ready for 4MP /5MP/8MP,yet to come. All of these drawbacks should be stated before HikVision 4MP cameras are being recommended. I have no objection to HD1080P or 2MP IP cameras, because it shares the market with smart phone application. CEOs and RNDs of imag sensors are paying attentions to it. For others, I am carrying Huge Doubt.

Very enlightening everyone, thank you for the information. If after I have the system running I feel I need an external IR panel I can and will install one. For the time being I'm looking for the best cameras for my needs which is the best image quality for a viewing area between 15 and 100 feet, day and night. Running over POE will make it a simpler install for me, and I have a good computer available to handle the feed if that is how these POE systems work. The best under $200 per camera. I feel I should be able to be impressed by a sub $200 camera. You guys feel HikVision has some better offerings than Dahua?

And I am still very foggy about how the whole system will come together and what all equipment I need to look for. Cameras -> cat 5e -> POE switch -> ??? computer?? -> software?? -> monitor.

Those HikVision cameras you linked Boogieman, I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere to find a price.

You can check the 10x Optical Zoom IPCC-9610 and 20X Zoom IPCC-2020A PTZ High Speed PTZ on IPCam-Central.com. Those are powerful enterprise class cameras.