dopalgangr

Setting up FTP on Dahua

I have both the Dahua 3300c and the 4300s cameras and have seen where people have used the cameras web interface to set up a FTP share and save the video on motion to that share. I have a router on the same network that allows you to attach a USB3 external hard drive and it makes it available on the network via a network, HTTP and FTP share. Below are pictures of the router page and the Dahua page, I have tried every combination and no luck. I must not be doing something correctly. If someone could help me through it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

dahuaFTP.thumb.JPG.2c5b32a4c07431c648fedd8ffaa04baa.JPG

Edited by Guest

The camera's server address is your local gateway address (typically 192.168.1.1).

You need a username and password for the shares (which is plugged into the camera). I don't think the cameras play well without authentication.

The camera's server address is your local gateway address (typically 192.168.1.1).

You need a username and password for the shares (which is plugged into the camera). I don't think the cameras play well without authentication.

Hmm, thanks for the response, still no luck. I've tried it with and without passwords. Has anyone ever set it up with a nas or ftp using the netgear ready share option?

You have the FTP enabled over the internet, so you will definitely want a username and password (I see foreign IP addresses attempt to log into my FTP all the time). As an example, I just connected to your FTP and it let me in with no problem. All I see is the shares folders (looks like there are two of them /shares/shares)

To continue troubleshooting, type ftp://readyshare.routerlogin.net into your browser's address bar and see what happens. The browser should pull up the router's FTP space like it did for me. If that works, try typing readyshare.routerlogin.net as the server address in the cameras. The cameras may not accept a domain name, so if that is the case, you will need the exact IP address, which should be the router/gateway. An easy method to find the gateway is to bring up a command prompt (press the Windows key on your keyboard + r), then type cmd and press enter. The command prompt window should appear. Type ipconfig and press enter. Look for "Default Gateway" and the address next to it, which is what you want.

Back on the cameras, type the gateway address into the server address for your cameras (where you have 0.0.0.0 in the picture).

You can also try installing FileZilla FTP https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client on your computer and connect to the FTP to get a more detailed look at where the hangup is. If you can log into the FTP, the cameras should be able to log in.

Capture2.PNG.6836634e3aeac48ddd7da86f91c768c6.PNG

Capture.PNG.03ccd1fda981e79da5459b9be54fa00d.PNG

Thanks Euly, I just realized that the damn router was allowing outside access?? I would have thought it was just on my local network(should have know with the public ip). removed the one picture

I'm guessing you are editing that last post while I'm looking at it, seems like every time I refresh the page something new come up

Silly question, is the username and pwd where you have cam1 in the dahua screen shot the cameras username and pwd or the FTP username and pwd?

and does the remote directory need to already exist on the share or is the camera gonna create it the first time it save info there?

Silly question, is the username and pwd where you have cam1 in the dahua screen shot the cameras username and pwd or the FTP username and pwd?

and does the remote directory need to already exist on the share or is the camera gonna create it the first time it save info there?

Yes, the username and password where I have Cam1 is the FTP username and password.

The remote directory does not need to exist first. The FTP username needs write access, so the camera can create and upload videos. Be warned, though, Dahua has (IMO) a stupid method of creating directories, so videos are buried somewhat deep in folders respective of camera, date, hour, minute, and a bunch of crap in between. I stopped using my router as an FTP server because of this, now I have a computer running 24/7 that acts as an FTP server with a scheduled task to pull videos out of those folders and sort them for me.

still no worky, bump for help

We established that the FTP on the camera is uploading and functioning properly, so the problem seems to be the router. The Netgear R7000 has limited FTP functionality, so without the ability to create a username and password for the camera, this may be a dead-end.

With the router's FTP authentication set to Admin, did you try using Guest (with no password) on the camera?

Thanks Euly, I did try that and it didn't work either. I also have a Drobo-FS NAS but utilizing that option unfortunately ended with the same results. Thanks for all the help though.