JohnnyBeGood

Front porch camera recommendation needed

Hi all,

Recently some of our got stolen from our front porch and I want by a camera that I'm planning to mount just above front door.

For me main area that needs to be covered is 8FTx10FT and camera will be about 10FT high.

I already have one Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I and I ran CAT5 cable to my POE switch.

Can someone please recommend camera that will cover above area well?

Here's how porch looks like if it helps.

6Jx8OSJ.thumb.jpg.328f3f2b5aebbc2e54199a66411c0c88.jpg

The 2032 and other similar Hiks will all work fine, but you'll want the appropriate lens size to cover your area. If you take your existing cam and use it to try out the coverage, you'll get a good idea of what you need.

With the cam 10' above the porch, you'll need to cover the approach to see faces, as you'll only get the top of their heads when people are at the door.

If it were me, I'd look at mounting the cam above the window or beyond it at the corner, covering both the approach and the front door. This is how my front door cam is set up, and it gives pretty good coverage.

With the cam 10' above the porch, you'll need to cover the approach to see faces, as you'll only get the top of their heads when people are at the door.

If it were me, I'd look at mounting the cam above the window or beyond it at the corner, covering both the approach and the front door. This is how my front door cam is set up, and it gives pretty good coverage.

Thanks for the reply!

That is a really good point, never really thought about. I will definitely try to mount around window area.

I don't think in my case 2032 bullet size would look good so I need dome.

So far I have these models:

DS-2CD2142F-IS $108

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS $140

DS-2CD2542FWD-IS $159

DS-2CD2532F-IS $125

And I'm leaning toward DS-2CD2542FWD-IS

Am I missing anything?

The domes can have a tendency towards IR reflection, though it depends on how well the lens isolation foam is seated and how close to the edge of the dome the lens is adjusted.

Many people prefer the DS-2CD2332-I turret for this reason, but the regular domes work well for a lot of people, and are a bit sleeker than the turrets. I'm not sure the turret is available in 4MP.

For the lens, a 4mm might do it...but for a wider angle, the 2.8mm will give you the view you want. And with 3MP or 4MP resolution covering such a small area, the 2.8mm lens will give you the wide view but you can still zoom in on the video playback to get some really good detail.

The DS-2CD2342WD-I is 4MP.

I've been doing a bunch of these models this year. Professional offices are asking for these much more than domes. I'm doing another bank of these cams next week inside an automobile dealer showroom. It seems my business customers are choosing them mostly because they think they look modern and all.

Performance-wise, the camera internals are the same.

Though MaxIcon is right, in a dome cam, if the foam piece is dislodged, then you can get a strong IR reflection. I don't get that issue much with the Hik's, but I've seen it a bunch on some other brands.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I still think I need to go with dome version because of looks and in my case I will need to mount somewhere near the light/window because as said by MaxIcon if I try above the door I will be only catching top of their heads