Sign in to follow this  
boounga

New here and a few questions on DS-2CD3132-I HIKVISION

So I found this guy on ebay,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DS-2CD3132-I-HIKVISION-3MP-HD-1080P-IR-Outdoor-Dome-Network-IP-Camera-POE-2-8mm-/111342364629?hash=item19ec85a7d5

What I don't understand is do I need a recording box made by them? or can I just run a PoE injector from my router to this camera and set it up with my browser? I want it to send the recordings to a hidden laptop running freebsd with an ftp server.

Also is this camera good enough to pick out a license plate out front of my house, say if they park in my driveway? I don't want some piece of junk where you can't make anything out. My research so far has told me 3mp 1080 should be sufficient?

Thanks

Tyler

So I found this guy on ebay,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DS-2CD3132-I-HIKVISION-3MP-HD-1080P-IR-Outdoor-Dome-Network-IP-Camera-POE-2-8mm-/111342364629?hash=item19ec85a7d5

What I don't understand is do I need a recording box made by them? or can I just run a PoE injector from my router to this camera and set it up with my browser? I want it to send the recordings to a hidden laptop running freebsd with an ftp server.

Also is this camera good enough to pick out a license plate out front of my house, say if they park in my driveway? I don't want some piece of junk where you can't make anything out. My research so far has told me 3mp 1080 should be sufficient?

Thanks

Tyler

that camera is china region and you will not be able to update the firmware. You will also need an NVR...the camera is also only two axis so it cannot be wall mounted..(without a mount)

They make the same model with an F in the name...2132F, this has an SD card slot and is three axis...the camera cannot send video via ftp only snapshots...

Oh okay, So 3 axis is needed if I wall mount a dome camera with the dome facing out?

I also researched and see that i can use NFS to dump the video to my server on the local network. So that will work.

That cam won't be much good for plates unless they're pretty close, because of the 2.8mm lens.

Plate recognition is all about pixels per foot and lighting. In the US, a car plate is 1 foot wide, and you'll want 80 ppf to get reliable recognition. If the plates are at an angle to the camera, you'll need even more, as the plates will be less than 1 foot side visually. If they'll be facing straight on at the camera, that's best case.

Daytime is best case, but as the light drops, Hik resolution suffers, and you'll either need good lighting or a faster lens/camera combination. In addition, you need shorter exposures in low light to avoid motion blur; the typical 1/30 sec Hik night setting won't work on moving cars due to blur, and moving to 1/250 or whatever requires that much better lighting.

I have a hik 2032 at 1080p doing plate capture at about 70 feet, and it works fine in the daytime with a 25mm lens. At night, it's no good unless the plates are lit up by another car's lights. The on-camera IR is way too weak at that distance to help.

You can tell how many ppf you're getting by taking a still capture with a plate in the frame, opening it in Paint or similar, and drawing a box around it. Paint will show you how many pixels it is.

Generally, if you want both a wide view and plate recognition, you'll need 2 cameras - one like you linked to for the area view, and another with a much longer lens dedicated to plate capture.

Here's a thread with some discussion and examples.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44416