Hi All,

First time here and newbie to webcams. I am looking into setting home surveillance (surroundings) for my home. Here are my requirements:

- Indoor camera that I can be placed on my windows and pointing outside.

- 1080P resolution

- SD card

- Wireless

- Power thru POE converter to the wall jack.

- Night vision

- Access the webcam from pc/mobile within home or from internet

My goals are to be able to capture my home surrounding (back yard, driveway, car license plates etc.) day and night. I prefer not to user external camera as it would be difficult of me to go the the process of mounting and wiring outside the house. As such, I like to use indoor camera and place it inside to make things simple. I know this may or may not work so i am looking for suggestions of all sorts... but my initial priority is to zero in on the right camera to use.

Thanks All.

Tenvis JPT3815W-HD

Small, cheap and cheerful 1MP Pan & Tilt IP camera with built in microphone and wifi

I don't think it will POE, but it comes with a standard 3.5mm jack 12vdc power supply

- 1080P resolution (these are 720p, but the image detail is quite good)

- SD card (yes, it has a microSD slot)

- Wireless (yes, choice of ethernet or wifi)

- Power thru POE converter to the wall jack. (nope, I don't think it will)

- Night vision (yes, it can be turned off in settings if you get IR reflection from your windows)

- Access the webcam from pc/mobile within home or from internet (yes, via PC web browser or via apple/android app)

Another worth a mention, it supports Onvif and can be recorded and controlled from an Onvif compatible NVR, also it can email you with snapshots on motion/sound detect during set days/time

Tenvis JPT3815W-HD

Small, cheap and cheerful 1MP Pan & Tilt IP camera with built in microphone and wifi

I don't think it will POE, but it comes with a standard 3.5mm jack 12vdc power supply

- Night vision (yes, it can be turned off in settings if you get IR reflection from your windows)

- Access the webcam from pc/mobile within home or from internet (yes, via PC web browser or via apple/android app)

Another worth a mention, it supports Onvif and can be recorded and controlled from an Onvif compatible NVR, also it can email you with snapshots on motion/sound detect during set days/time

That camera, like the foscam clones is compete trash...

Tenvis JPT3815W-HD

Suggesting the purchase of "Grey Market" Hikvision equipment that might not be capable of upgrading and might become incompatible with other Hikvision equipment in the future are really trashy suggestions. Seems like you have a very selective definition of "Trash" which is limited to your limited experience as well! LOL

I would read many different reviews, in many different places by others who have purchased the equipment in question. Then based on your budget do what many others say is working for them vs. making a purchase based on any single persons statements alone.

Any single person can play pro American football from their couch. Few would survive the first play on the field for a pro team and not end up in the hospital. Better to get many opinions from many people and then read many reviews in many places about their suggested equipment choices.

The truth is much like comparing an older model car or truck you once had years ago to current models. Things change. Maybe the current model is better or worse than the older model you once had. So, one can't claim that any specific IP Camera model now is this or that. If they never owned that IP Camera model now being sold. This is why reading as many reviews in different places from others is so important. Because you do get the comments from others that have actually used that specific model.

Don

Edited by Guest

It seems I have touched a nerve here, not sure why

I wouldn't install this sort of camera for a customer, it wouldn't be a professional move for many reasons so I totally understand

But, the OP was from a person that clearly doesn't install CCTV in there everyday life, they don't want to run cables etc, he just wants a simple solution and I would expect it to be at a budget hence why he isn't paying a company to install a system.

The camera I suggested, as I said in my post I have 2 of these, purchased as a temporary solution at the time but in the end I decided to keep them, they have been running 24hrs a day for the last 2 years, recording back at my NVR at home without fail. The picture quality is very good in my opinion for the price, there is no complicated setup, it's very user friendly compared to Hikvision that's aimed at professionals

Seriously, what's the problem? If they serve a purpose, why should they be labelled as trash? lol

Edited by Guest

Tenvis JPT3815W-HD

Suggesting the purchase of "Grey Market" Hikvision equipment that might not be capable of upgrading and might become incompatible with other Hikvision equipment in the future are really trashy suggestions. Seems like you have a very selective definition of "Trash" which is limited to your limited experience as well! LOL

I would read many different reviews, in many different places by others who have purchased the equipment in question. Then based on your budget do what many others say is working for them vs. making a purchase based on any single persons statements alone.

Any single person can play pro American football from their couch. Few would survive the first play on the field for a pro team and not end up in the hospital. Better to get many opinions from many people and then read many reviews in many places about their suggested equipment choices.

The truth is much like comparing an older model car or truck you once had years ago to current models. Things change. Maybe the current model is better or worse than the older model you once had. So, one can't claim that any specific IP Camera model now is this or that. If they never owned that IP Camera model now being sold. This is why reading as many reviews in different places from others is so important. Because you do get the comments from others that have actually used that specific model.

Don

No one suggested a gray market camera. What is WRONG with you?

Point being you have in the past. Even in the recent past. Nobody said you did it here in this forum thread yet!

Don

You implied that is was done in this thread.

We have had this discussion MANY times over. I'm not getting into this again.

Point being you have in the past. Even in the recent past. Nobody said you did it here in this forum thread yet!

Don

Don't make stuff up. What I stated is clear. Please re-read it if what I stated confuses you! I never stated you made any statement here in this thread, yet. But you have in the past.

Here is a recent example. One of many, where in fact you encourage same:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48590&start=15

So. Try being more honest.

As I stated. IMHO your definition of what's trash and what's not, is a very odd one. Which is why I suggested what I have here.

Don

Edited by Guest

Don

Don't make stuff up. What I stated is clear. Please re-read it if what I stated confuses you!

Don

Making stuff up is your MO. Stop being a jerk.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. I take all comments/suggestions into heart knowing you are trying to help. I am sorry that this post has resulted in some heat exchange.

With the above said, I goal is to implement the solution with the least amount of efforts given the stated requirements. I am not good in doing stuff around the house but am a experience IT engineer with no issue in working with software/hardware aspect of things. However, if pulling wire is what it takes to implement this, i will definitely consider it... if it is cost effective.

BTW. If I place an indoor webcam 45 degree aiming outside, would the IR reflection be an issue at night?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. I take all comments/suggestions into heart knowing you are trying to help. I am sorry that this post has resulted in some heat exchange.

With the above said, I goal is to implement the solution with the least amount of efforts given the stated requirements. I am not good in doing stuff around the house but am a experience IT engineer with no issue in working with software/hardware aspect of things. However, if pulling wire is what it takes to implement this, i will definitely consider it... if it is cost effective.

BTW. If I place an indoor webcam 45 degree aiming outside, would the IR reflection be an issue at night?

You are very welcome. Just want to make sure that you don't get sucked into anything because of any bias or lack of experience with this or that. Some may claim to have knowledge that they can't substantiate. Minus their words alone. So without also seeing any of those claims validated and confirmed by other trusted sources and/or many reviews in many different places by those that actually purchased specific equipment that substantiate those claims. I would be very leery of any of those types of claims.

I think you mean IP Camera vs. webcam since generally a webcam has a USB connection to a computer vs. an IP Camera which has a hard wired Ethernet or WiFi connection to a LAN.

Depends on your goals and how close the IP Camera is to the window and if you also wish to monitor motion detection going on the outside from the inside. The other thing is direct sunlight during the day. In many if not most cases since the IP Camera would be at a 45 degree angle looking down you would be ok. But only you know that specific view. So best you decide if that's true for you, in this case.

Note: If your outdoor lighting is bright enough at night outside. You would not even need any External IR light outside. If that light by itself covered the complete area outside you wished to cover from inside. You would still want to keep the IP Cameras IR lights off to avoid creating any reflections.

That said. Depending on how far you wish to see outside at night if you're set on using a indoor IP Camera to be viewing the outside through a window from the inside. You may want to at least place some external IR light outside to get better night distance while keeping any IR lights in the indoor IP Camera off. This will minimize any possible IR reflection as well as potentially allow you to see a longer distance from the inside looking outside, at night.

There are many online stores like ebay and Amazon and others that you can find external IR lights that will turn on and off automatically that can handle any reasonable distances you may need. In some areas you might even be able to find them in brick and mortar home improvement stores. Although they maybe priced higher there then you can get them online. Again, even with something like this. It's best to look for many reviews in as many different places as possible about external IR lights where people say what distances the IR lights really do go vs. any specifications their seller may claim they reach. Some are better than others. So better to be safe that sorry.

Two very important points not to lose sight of when using an indoor IP Camera to view outside is:

Avoid any IP Camera that uses what's known as a "IR-CUT" filter if you intend to use IR light to see outside at night from the inside looking through a window. This is because these cameras do very poor in low light night conditions when their IR lights are turned off. Because they use a special filter specifically for IR light. Which won't be used when IR lights are disabled in the IP Camera itself. So even with IR external lights outside. Those IP Cameras won't do well at night with their IR lights turned off.

While some IP Cameras can control the IR-CUT filter separately from the IR lights. Some cannot. So it's important to distinguish if a IP Camera can control both features separately. If it can't, then don't use that IP Camera with external IR lighting while trying to disable the IP Cameras IR lights.

Some IP Camera use built in PIR ("Passive infrared") sensors in some IP Camera models to detect motion. A PIR sensor does not do well behind glass. So if you need to detect outside motion from the inside. Then you would want to avoid those IP Camera models if they also can't do image motion detection separately. Unless you are going to be using some hosted software on a computer, to provide image based motion detection.

So, while using a indoor IP Camera to view outside is not the ideal solution when compared to using an outdoor IP Camera. It is done often and can be done successfully in most cases, with a little upfront planning.

Don

Edited by Guest

Two very important points not to lose sight of when using an indoor IP Camera to view outside is:

Avoid any IP Camera that uses what's known as a "IR-CUT" filter if you intend to use IR light to see outside at night from the inside looking through a window. This is because these cameras do very poor in low light night conditions when their IR lights are turned off. Because they use a special filter specifically for IR light. Which won't be used when IR lights are disabled in the IP Camera itself. So even with IR external lights outside. Those IP Cameras won't do well at night with their IR lights turned off.

Don

This is absolutely incorrect. Whether or not a camera has an ir cut filter has ZERO bearing on its low light viewing capability with the IR off. You need to stop with your misleading advice to end users.

Don

This is absolutely incorrect. Whether or not a camera has an ir cut filter has ZERO bearing on its low light viewing capability with the IR off. You need to stop with your misleading advice to end users.

Your statement, is once again a very misinformed one.

Many IP Cameras have a Electromechanical IR-CUT filter which slides back and forth over the IP Camera sensor, when IR Lights are enabled/disabled for a IP Camera. Since the IR-CUT filter in those IP Cameras is over the camera sensor when it's in day mode. IR light is filtered from reaching the camera sensor. As long as the IR lights are off in those IP Cameras. The IR filter will remain over the camera sensor filtering IR light. This means that even external IR lighting will not be picked up well until the IP Cameras IR lights are enabled and that IR-CUT filter is slid away from the camera sensor.

Generally speaking. IP Cameras that have this feature, do not have the ability to separately move the IR-CUT filter over or away from their camera sensor. Without also simultaneously enabling/disabling their IR lights. Meaning that those functions are on the same internal switching circuitry, of those IP Cameras.

Google is your friend about this as well:

"The perfect night guard: Cameras with infrared lighting

The challenge when doing surveillance with infrared: Infrared light leads to colour distortion during the day. This is why day/night cameras feature an IR-cut filter which keeps the disturbing infrared light out of the image sensor during the day. When the light falls below a certain level, in contrast, the filter automatically swivels out of the way so that the infrared light does hit the image sensor. At the same time, the camera switches to black/white mode, in which it can use the infrared light optimally."

From: http://www.abus.com/eng/Commercial-Security/Video-Surveillance/IP-HD-SDI-analog-HD-or-analog/IR-cut-filter

"About Mechanical IR Cut Filters

IR light is filtered out so that it does not distort the colours of images as the human eye sees them. When the camera is in night (black and white) mode, the IR-cut filter is removed, allowing the camera's light sensitivity to reach down to 0.001 lux or lower."

Please try and do more reading and studying about subjects you have no experience with. Because you are looking very silly as you attack others using false, misleading and incorrect statements.

For sure, as you continue to make these misleading, false and unsubstantiated statements. It's not making you look any smarter.

I commend you for trying to use your 2+ years of IP Camera experience to try to sometimes help others with IP Camera issues. But you have not reached the supreme level of "Expert of All Things For All IP Cameras". This is NOT a video game. So please continue to learn and study before acting like you won some video game. Which you have not. I am personally not aware of any single person who is a "Expert of All Things For All IP Cameras". So better to continue to read and study, than always claiming that you have already reached, an unobtainable goal.

Don

Don

Your statement, is once again a very misinformed one.

Many IP Cameras have a Electromechanical IR-CUT filter which slides back and forth over the IP Camera sensor, when IR Lights are enabled/disabled for a IP Camera. Since the IR-CUT filter in those IP Cameras is over the camera sensor when it's in day mode. IR light is filtered from reaching the camera sensor. As long as the IR lights are off in those IP Cameras. The IR filter will remain over the camera sensor filtering IR light. This means that even external IR lighting will not be picked up well until the IP Cameras IR lights are enabled and that IR-CUT filter is slid away from the camera sensor.

Generally speaking. IP Cameras that have this feature, do not have the ability to separately move the IR-CUT filter over or away from their camera sensor. Without also simultaneously enabling/disabling their IR lights. Meaning that those functions are on the same internal switching circuitry, of those IP Cameras.

Google is your friend about this as well:

"The perfect night guard: Cameras with infrared lighting

The challenge when doing surveillance with infrared: Infrared light leads to colour distortion during the day. This is why day/night cameras feature an IR-cut filter which keeps the disturbing infrared light out of the image sensor during the day. When the light falls below a certain level, in contrast, the filter automatically swivels out of the way so that the infrared light does hit the image sensor. At the same time, the camera switches to black/white mode, in which it can use the infrared light optimally."

From: http://www.abus.com/eng/Commercial-Security/Video-Surveillance/IP-HD-SDI-analog-HD-or-analog/IR-cut-filter

"About Mechanical IR Cut Filters

IR light is filtered out so that it does not distort the colours of images as the human eye sees them. When the camera is in night (black and white) mode, the IR-cut filter is removed, allowing the camera's light sensitivity to reach down to 0.001 lux or lower."

Please try and do more reading and studying about subjects you have no experience with. Because you are looking very silly as you attack others using false, misleading and incorrect statements.

For sure, as you continue to make these misleading, false and unsubstantiated statements. It's not making you look any smarter.

I commend you for trying to use your 2+ years of IP Camera experience to try to sometimes help others with IP Camera issues. But you have not reached the supreme level of "Expert of All Things For All IP Cameras". This is NOT a video game. So please continue to learn and study before acting like you won some video game. Which you have not. I am personally not aware of any single person who is a "Expert of All Things For All IP Cameras". So better to continue to read and study, than always claiming that you have already reached, an unobtainable goal.

Don

Once again you are misinformed because you are only exposed to foscams toy cameras. So i think when you say "generally speaking" you really mean, "generally speaking my experience with low end just foscam and their clones". Many camera have option to disable IR light independent of the filter. Hikvision is one such brand. There are many others like axis, vivotek that have control of the IR filter. It is clear that you are an extreme amateur. These are BASIC camera 101 facts. The fact that you are unaware about this but giving "advice" is mind boggling.

Once again you are misinformed because you are only exposed to foscams toy cameras. So i think when you say "generally speaking" you really mean, "generally speaking my experience with low end just foscam and their clones". Many camera have option to disable IR light independent of the filter. Hikvision is one such brand. There are many others like axis, vivotek that have control of the IR filter. It is clear that you are an extreme amateur. These are BASIC camera 101 facts. The fact that you are unaware about this but giving "advice" is mind boggling.

You were wrong and are wrong about this subject matter. Own that!

Note that I said "Generally Speaking" when I stated that IP Cameras use the same switching circuitry for their IR-CUT filters and IR light controls. I never made any blanket statement that all IP Cameras did same.

The above statement is an example of an inaccurate, misleading and false statement. Because it's ALL inclusive and excludes NO IP Cameras of any kind.

Please provide any scientific facts provided by trusted sources, that only Foscam IP Cameras use Electromechanical IR-CUT filters in their IP Cameras which use the same internal switching circuitry for their IR-CUT filters and IR light controls.

Otherwise, please stop babbling and read and study more. Because you are only continuing to make yourself look more silly than what you already appeared to be.

Don

Note that I said "Generally Speaking" when I stated that IP Cameras use the same switching circuitry for their IR-CUT filters and IR light controls. I never made any blanket statement that all IP Cameras did same.

The above statement is an example of an inaccurate, misleading and false statement. Because it's ALL inclusive and excludes NO IP Cameras of any kind.

Please provide any scientific facts provided by trusted sources, that only Foscam IP Cameras use Electromechanical IR-CUT filters in their IP Cameras which use the same internal switching circuitry for their IR-CUT filters and IR light controls.

Otherwise, please stop babbling and read and study more. Because you are only continuing to make yourself look more silly than what you already appeared to be.

Don

Wow, you are completely wrong and cannot admit it. A cameras night vision capability with IR OFF is NOT in anyway related to whether or not it has IR lights or not.. Whats with you and scientific facts. Look up any hikvision, vivotek, axis manual and you will see that they all have the ability to disable IR light while staying in night mode allowing the use of external IR. That is FACT!!!! You are simply lying trying to cover up your tracks as is your MO. So now how are you going to disprove the owners manual. Hmmmm, guess the companies are wrong...you are right..they dont know their own product. Fool.

Please provide any scientific facts provided by trusted sources, that only Foscam IP Cameras use Electromechanical IR-CUT filters in their IP Cameras which use the same internal switching circuitry for their IR-CUT filters and IR light controls. Which has already been proven to be wrong here by your own admission as well as another link I provided for a non Foscam IP Camera and a non Foscam clone.

Please stop babbling and read and study more. Because you are only continuing to make yourself look more silly than what you already appeared to be.

Don

Wow, you are completely wrong and cannot admit it. A cameras night vision capability with IR OFF is NOT in anyway related to whether or not it has IR lights or not.. Whats with you and scientific facts. Look up any hikvision, vivotek, axis manual and you will see that they all have the ability to disable IR light while staying in night mode allowing the use of external IR. That is FACT!!!! You are simply lying trying to cover up your tracks as is your MO. So now how are you going to disprove the owners manual. Hmmmm, guess the companies are wrong...you are right..they dont know their own product. Fool.

Your babbling doesn't change the facts and your personal conjecture never has or will change those facts. Which prove your statements are wrong. So own it. Because your 2+ years of IP Camera experience is limited to few brands and models of IP Cameras of the total IP Cameras available.

Please re-read my posts if you continue to be confused. Because at no time did I ever make any blanket claim, that all IP Cameras could not control IR-CUT filters and IR lights separately. Saying that I did is lying. Because I never have said such a thing.

On the other hand. You have made blanket statements about all IP Cameras, saying that no IP Camera of any kind, has any issues with IR-CUT filters and IR lights. So, please get the facts straight.

I find it humorous at best that your above statement is all inclusive and excludes no IP Cameras of any kind. Yet you wish to not claim ownership of it. LOL

The facts are. That if a IP Camera is using the same internal switching circuitry to control both the IR-CUT filter and the IR lights. That it does have a bearing on its low light viewing capability with that IP Cameras IR lights being off. Because the IR-CUT filter would remain over the camera sensor filtering IR light at night. For those IP Cameras. Defeating any purpose of using even external IR lighting effectively for a IP Camera looking through a window, that required its own IR lights to remain off to avoid reflection. Which is what I originally clearly stated as fact.

This link below alone. Proves that your above statement is blatantly incorrect, misleading and false. Which is already along side of your own late admission here. That even Foscam IP Camera are doing the same thing as the link below shows other brands and models of IP Cameras are:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Video/UVC-ir-cut-without-LED/m-p/1280873#M41015

The simple fact is that you are wrong and have been wrong about this subject matter yet continue to refuse to own it. I don't owe you links to every IP Camera that is doing the same. After all, your statement above does not exclude any IP Cameras whatsoever. Your statement quoted above, has clearly already been invalidated as blatantly false, misleading and incorrect.

Once again you are misinformed because you are only exposed to foscams toy cameras. So i think when you say "generally speaking" you really mean, "generally speaking my experience with low end just foscam and their clones".

You don't need my help to continue to look silly with your statements about this subject matter. Your doing just fine doing that by yourself.

Don

Edited by Guest

Again, I await scientific facts by trusted sources that only Foscam IP Cameras have their IR-CUT filters linked to their IR light controls using the same internal switching circuity.

Your babbling doesn't change the facts and your personal conjecture never has or will change those facts.

Don

Donny, I am not the one who said foscam is the ONLY camera. YOU are the one who stated, incorrectly, that OP should "Avoid any IP Camera that uses what's known as a "IR-CUT" filter if you intend to use IR light to see outside at night from the inside looking through a window. "

So, you tell the OP to avoid ANY camera IR cut, when there are MANY cameras that let you disable the IR independent of the IR filter. So your statement on its face is completely WRONG. Lets see you spin the word "any" to mean something that fits your narrative.

Extract from " Forum Posting Guidelines"

Have fun.

Be Polite.

Be Respectful.

Be Professional.

Use Common Sense.

Don't Break the Law.

You guys behavior is disgraceful , if you have personal grievances please arrange to meet at a car park and sort it out , I find that both of you are abusing this forum, I'm disgusted , I have to say I have never seen behavior like this since I joined in 2009. I'm sure most people are not interested in your squabble , at best its amusing , sad but amusing.

Extract from " Forum Posting Guidelines"

Have fun.

Be Polite.

Be Respectful.

Be Professional.

Use Common Sense.

Don't Break the Law.

You guys behavior is disgraceful , if you have personal grievances please arrange to meet at a car park and sort it out , I find that both of you are abusing this forum, I'm disgusted , I have to say I have never seen behavior like this since I joined in 2009. I'm sure most people are not interested in your squabble , at best its amusing , sad but amusing.

Its the internet. You are way too easily disgusted and offended. Maybe they could make a "safe zone" for you.