oh6hfx

Dahua GDMSS Android app playback does not work.

I have installed many Dahua systems with different NVR:s. GDMSS Android app playback does not seem to work with

NVR4116 or NVR4108. It just says "failed to connect". I have tried this in local network and also behind router with ports forwarded.

Anything else works fine. Dealer advised me to get non-free Gdmss plus, but it has the same problem.

With two NVR7264 models I have installed the playback is working.

Should it work with 4116 and 4108 at all?

Johannes

hi, I would bet your error is coming up because your gDMSS app is setup to playback "Extra stream" and you are not setup in the NVR to record "Extra Stream" change the app setting to playback Main stream. or Setup your NVR to record Extra stream. either will work. but recording Extra stream will eat up more of your NVR's HDD.

Default Extra stream Playback

http://postimg.org/image/bujgc3sar

Main Stream Playback

http://postimg.org/image/tcuk5z7u3

Thanks a lot AgentJ0sh! That was it, just needed to change it to main and now it works through menu.

However "real-time playback" button gives still "failed to connect". No big problem as playback can be accessed through main menu.

Johannes

Thanks a lot AgentJ0sh! That was it, just needed to change it to main and now it works through menu.

However "real-time playback" button gives still "failed to connect". No big problem as playback can be accessed through main menu.

Johannes

You are welcome, glad I could help. the "real-time playback" button uses the extra stream no way to change that in the menus. So if you care to use that feature then you must enable extra stream recording in the NVR Record menu.

AgentJ0sh and oh6hfx,

I have the same problem. I can see "Live Preview" just fine. But "Playback" doesn't work - I get "Failed to connect" error.

I set the gDMSS Lite app to playback using "main", instead of "Extra". This didn't fix it.

However, you were talking about two methods to enter "Playback" mode:

"real-time playback" button gives still "failed to connect". No big problem as playback can be accessed through main menu."

I don't know how to use the other method.

I only know about the top left button (w/ 3 lines) that brings me to black screen showing Home, Live Preview, Playback, Device Manager, Local Files, Favorites and More.

What am I missing?

PS: the brand new NVR4116 was just powered up yesterday. I haven't done much to it at all. I know the NVR is recording, I can see the footage using SmartPSS on my laptop.

PPS: I'm using P2P, not DDNS and ports.

Thanks!

Brian

Are you sure that your NVR is even recording ?

If both streams failed to playback. I'll bet your settings to record are not complete.

P2P connection isn't the issue. It's going to be slower than opening ports on your modem though.

AgentJ0sh,

Thanks for the quick reply!

At the end of my posting, I said "I know the NVR is recording, I can see the footage using SmartPSS on my laptop."

Doesn't that confirm that the NVR is recording? (at least one stream)

You had said "the "real-time playback" button uses the extra stream no way to change that [to 'main' in] the menus. "

So I was hoping to see "Playback" in gDMSS lite by the 2nd method. ie: Instead of the "real time playback" button, I'd use the other method mentioned by oh6hfx. ie: "However "real-time playback" button gives still "failed to connect". No big problem as playback can be accessed through main menu."

I think my problem is identical to oh6hfx. Unfortunately, I don't know the 2nd method for viewing playback using the "main" stream.

This is my first NVR, I'm a newbie. I could try to configure the NVR to record the "Extra" stream, if useful for troubleshooting.

Brian

Re: P2P

Yes, P2P will take longer to open the ports. But once connected, the speed of video to the remote viewing location will be identical. I can live with the initial delay of opening the p2p port....

ok so you can playback from Smart PSS so you are recording at least Main Stream.

By default the gDMSS app uses the extra stream to record. Which needs to be manually enabled.

Have you tried to change the playback stream to Main. It's in your device details screen. (See the pics I posted in my first reply up top)

Those screenshots were useful.

Yes, I tried "Playback" set to both main and extra. No difference.

In gDMSS, there are two ways to view playback (based on comments early in this thread). Or is that incorrect?

The only other playback method is the "realtime playtime" button you can adjust the rewind time interval in the app settings menu. I think be default it it just set to rewind 1 minute prior. The other interval playback options are 5,10,30,60.

What mega pixel are your cameras?

"The only other playback method is the "realtime playtime" button"

There's the crux!

I know of only one method (being new to gDMSS, the NVR, etc.

You mention "the other" method.

That's where this blockhead runs into problems.

Thanks again, in advance!

I made a video for my clients how to playback using gdmss. So far it has worked with all NVR-4116 and NVR-4108 recorders.

"The other" method is to choose playback in the main menu of gdmss, as showed in the video also.

oh6hfx,

Thank you for the informative video. That's what I was doing. So I haven't uncovered my problem.

Today, I intend to configure the NVR record the "extra" stream. Yes, it will use more HD space. But it might help me debug the problem.

Q1: My camera doesn't have an SD card. The gDMSS Lite application's "Playback" feature uses the HD in the NVR4116, correct?

Thanks,

Brian

oh6hfx,

Thank you for the informative video. That's what I was doing. So I haven't uncovered my problem.

Today, I intend to configure the NVR record the "extra" stream. Yes, it will use more HD space. But it might help me debug the problem.

Q1: My camera doesn't have an SD card. The gDMSS Lite application's "Playback" feature uses the HD in the NVR4116, correct?

Thanks,

Brian

Yes, playback feature plays what is recorded in NVR4116 HDD.

By the way, are you connecting to NVR4116 or the camera with gDMSS? You should connect to NVR4116 to see the recordings.

Johannes

Johannes,

That's the 2nd time you asked if I was I'm connecting to the NVR4116 or to the camera. Maybe I should look more closely.

I think I'm connecting to the NVR for both Live and Playback (not the camera).

But I'm not given a choice in gDMSS. (unlike Smart PSS)

I connect using the only way presented to me. If there is another way, I can't find it.

Secondly, I connect using the steps in your video.

(your video shows how to view Live, and I use the same method to view Playback)

I made a video. It shows how I view Live and Playback.

Live viewing works. Playback doesn't, whether I use "Main" or "Extra" as the playback stream.

I'm puzzled....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brian

The difference in our settings are that you are using P2P and I IP/domain. Haven't ever tried P2P so don't know how it should work.

However, my gDMSS connects to my dynamic wan ip with dyndns name. Then port 37777 is forwarded to NVR4116 lan ip. Then I can open all

my 9 cameras connected to NVR at once and also do playback.

You could try to make another device with IP/domain method and see if that is working. Maybe first when connected to your WiFi so all you need is

to put NVR4116 LAN ip and username/password.

I have also made another video showing how to install device, sorry, subtitles are in finnish.

Johannes

Hi guys,

I'm making some progress. I think it may be a clock setting mismatch.

I configured the NVR, switched it by 3 time zones.

Sometimes the timestamp on recorded video jumps by 3 hours.

Maybe this causes a problem when getting video recorded at xx:xx

More later. Thanks again!

Hi guys,

I now think the problem isn't due to p2p versus IP w/ port forwarding. Or due to gDMSS versus EvoPlus. Neither had Playback functional.

I now think my problem viewing playback is due to a time of day mismatch. My hunch:

1) when I unpacked and turned on the NVR, I changed the NVR clock by 3 hours, to GMT-8.

2) Later, I saw time mismatches. "Maybe the camera clock disagrees with the NVR", I thought. But I couldn't find a camera clock setting. I figured I'd fix it later.

3) I saw 3 hour time stamp differences come and go.

4) In my android app, "Live" worked, but "Playback" didn't.

5) When the clock jumped forward by 3 hours, it must create a 3 hour gap in recorded video. When I used Playback, I may have requested non-existent video from the gap.

6) In the Dahua NVR4116 setting screen, for General\Date&Time, the NTP box was checked. But trying "Manual Update" button resulted in an error. It couldn't reach the time.window.com site. I had planned to "fix it later"

7) Today, I figured I needed to fix NTP problem now.

8) NTP default port is 123. That's already in use, says my router. I set the NVR to use port 124. Error message went away.

9) Playback works, most of the time. In EvoPlus, I get playback images instead of a blank screen with "connection time out" errors. (some progress!)

This isn't fixed yet. The 3 hour error crept back. And now, "Manual Update" of NTP at time.windows.com reports an "Update Failed" error again.

Any guidance?

Thanks so much!

Brian

tomcctv & oh6hfx,

I found the root of the problem.

The camera indeed has it's own clock. The NVR and camera were 3 time zones apart. The 3 hour difference apparently causes problems in the time stamp of recorded video. And the conflicting clocks caused the displayed time (on the NVR monitor) to jump forward and backward.

All clocks are now set to Pacific Time, and problem with playback is resolved.

Thanks for your help! " title="Applause" />

Brian

having a similar weird issue p2p connection seems kinda ok but slow so switched to a ip connection and did all the usual port forwarding but while i can connect i get video for about 10 secs or so then drops out in live preview or comes up randomly with connection error.. strong stable internet connection on the site

If the prob is due to time mismatch, I think you see gaps in the green timeliness in the playback screen

All clocks must be set correctly - don't rely on clock sync to overcome wrong time zones

DST must be set identically in all devices also

I think I had to surf to the cameras to configure time & date. If T&D of cam was set using the NVR screens, problems returned

Hi, I have another problem.

The DVR works fine, even while i use my browser (IE) i can login ...

But in the gdmss i can't login using IP address and ports whilst i can login using the P2P

Does anyone how i will be able to connect using the GDMSS

Regards