Sign in to follow this  
LayerLapse

Whats a good Cat5 dvr/nvr system for me?

If someone can please help me get correct system I will donate $20 to their choice of paypal address - thank you!

I have a cat5 wire outside at front door where theres no power outlet or wifi so i need out door camera there with a balun. My rooms are prewired with ethernet and coaxial with all wires going to network hub in master closet. I would like to get cameras so one is permanently mounted outside while the 3 can be moved to any room and plugged into ethernet outlet. The router and modem are presently in bedroom connecting to coaxial internet coming in from closet. So do I put dvr/nvr in closet so all cat5s connect to it and then connect it to bedroom computer using cat5? I would like motion recording with iphone monitoring and notifications in app or through browser.

What bundle can I get - dvr or nvr? I tried asking Best Buy support but they say I must have power plug and dont even know whats a balun.

If someone can please help me get correct system I will donate $20 to their choice of paypal address - thank you!

I have a cat5 wire outside at front door where theres no power outlet or wifi so i need out door camera there with a balun. My rooms are prewired with ethernet and coaxial with all wires going to network hub in master closet. I would like to get cameras so one is permanently mounted outside while the 3 can be moved to any room and plugged into ethernet outlet. The router and modem are presently in bedroom connecting to coaxial internet coming in from closet. So do I put dvr/nvr in closet so all cat5s connect to it and then connect it to bedroom computer using cat5? I would like motion recording with iphone monitoring and notifications in app or through browser.

What bundle can I get - dvr or nvr? I tried asking Best Buy support but they say I must have power plug and dont even know whats a balun.

Scenario 1:

Buy a NVR with a built-in PoE switch, which can power the cameras over the cat5 cable. Connect the LAN port to your network (not from the PoE ports)

Scenario 2:

Buy a NVR and a separate PoE switch, which can power the cameras over the cat5 cable. Connect the LAN port of the NVR to the switch and from your network to the switch as well.

Your computer will then be able to access it via the IP address.

If this makes no sense to you, I recommend contacting an installer that can aid you in your endeavour.

Best of luck