sixsevenco

Yet another noob with questions (but I've done my homework)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a total noob when it comes to security and CCTV. Before posting, however, I really tried to do my homework. I am a DIY'er, and I am looking to install a self-monitored security system with video. I am fairly technical and handy. I'd like the flexibility to add home automation functionality down the line.

Here's what I would like:

1. Security panel to monitor my doors, windows, and other wired sensors. (My house was prewired for security from the Builder)

2. NVR with 1080p IP cameras to provide surveillance for the exterior of my house.

3. I would like for the security panel and NVR to be able to talk with each other or have some level of integration.

As far as the security panel goes, I've considered the Honeywell/Ademco Vista 20p, DSC 1832, and Elk M1 Gold. They all really seem to do the same thing, and I think I've decided to go with the Vista 20p.

I've read through the "The Ultimate IP Camera Guide" and several other posts, and they have been very helpful. Here's what I've learned/decided:

1. To install my surveillance system, I will need to pull cable. If I'm going to pull cable, I should be forward thinking and go with an IP/PoE solution.

2. It seems that, generally speaking, 1080p resolution cameras are needed to provide clear videos to the authorities. (if ever needed)

3. I've seen many posts praising Blue Iris, and the arguments are compelling. For me, I'd rather have plug-and-play solution where I don't need to maintain a server/PC. This tells me to go with an NVR.

4. While I never heard of them prior to my research, Hikvision and Dahua solutions are the way to go.

5. To get Hikvision or Dahua in my region, I will likely need to go with a rebranded product.

6. Not all NVRs include the inputs/outputs to connect to alarm panels.

7. Prepackaged kits provide value, but they might not include the ideal cameras for my specific needs.

8. I've had three different local installers at my house, and they didn't listen to my needs, and pushed their lame wireless, underpowered solutions on me. Plus the monitoring fees were ridiculously expensive. For me, I've decided to go DIY.

This URL contains the floor plan for my house: http://assets.site-static.com/userFiles/369/file/stapleton/builder-floor-plans/standard-pacific-huntingtonII.pdf

I have the optional door on the garage, but I do not have the optional door on the patio.

I'm looking at buying the following kit: https://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-IP-security-camera-system/HD-1080p-4-channel-4-camera-home-security-system/LHD84.p

Here are my questions for anyone that is still reading:

1. Are there any know issues or problems with this brand, or the specific NVR or cameras included in this kit? I'm guessing "no" because it's likely a rebranded Hikvision.

2. I'm specifically concerned about the suitability of these cameras for my porch. Should I be concerned? I've tried to understand the various lens calculators available, but I can't seem to figure them out for my specific application. Any help or guidance here is greatly appreciated.

3. If my IP cameras are on my local network via a PoE switch (as opposed to connecting directly to the NVR), can they be accessed by multiple devices concurrently? For example, would I be able to view the video feed on a table while the NVR is recording? Or can the cameras only be accessed by one device at a time.

4. Am I on the right track? Or should I be looking at something else or approaching this differently?

Thanks for any and all help. I haven't mentioned budget. I might be able to pay $700-$800 for my surveillance system. I'm not in a hurry, and I want to get the right solution for the long-term.

Hi. No it's not a hikvision.

Yes you can configure that system to view cameras from NVR or cameras on your network and still control from the one app ... It also has 99 users with camera configuration and multi log in passwords

But that unit is about to be updated.

Hi. No it's not a hikvision.

Yes you can configure that system to view cameras from NVR or cameras on your network and still control from the one app ... It also has 99 users with camera configuration and multi log in passwords

But that unit is about to be updated.

Hi tomcctv,

Thanks for responding. How do you know that unit is about to be updated? Would you recommend waiting for the updated unit? Or going with something entirely different that is Hikvision or Dauhu?

I'm not in a hurry. (I'm focused on physical security at the moment.)

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi. Your link is to a dahua unit ... Under licence to lorex.

Dahua have updated 4K systems and depending where you buy from they offer 5 to 10 years warranty now .

Nice house ..... You will get satisfaction out of installing yourself ... But looking at you plan I would start with your 4 cameras but go with an 8 way dvr .... Give yourself room to add. Check your PM.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9dec1ed9bce4544087563737c4dcc78.jpeg