traderjay

Outdoor POE Camera & Lightning protection best practices

As a home user and a tech geek, I was very fortunate to have acquired two Avigilon cameras (5MP HD Bullet & 2MP PTZ) and would like to install with the utmost care. I live in Toronto, Canada and we do have frequent thunderstorms in the spring and summer seasons and I've read the posts here regarding lightning protector for outdoor cameras. My cameras will be installed similar to the picture below (Credit - TheWireguys on twitter) :

284646_1.jpg

As for the ethernet cables, I'll be using armoured CAT5E cable for the outside runs. Below is a diagram Ubiquiti provided as guide on where to install POE surge protectors and I am wondering if this will provide adequate protection?

284646_2.jpg

I am thinking of using something even more robust such as these - http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector-outdoor-10-100-1000-10000-base-t-cat6a-poe-compatible-lightning-protector-rj45-jacks

Let me know if you have any questions on the install. Thanks for sharing our install pic!!

No problem and you guys have a great web presence! As for that install picture, what Ethernet cabling did you use and were any surge protectors put in place?

Let me know if you have any questions on the install. Thanks for sharing our install pic!!

No problem and you guys have a great web presence! As for that install picture, what Ethernet cabling did you use and were any surge protectors put in place?

Outdoor rated CAT5e cable and no surge protectors were used.

Outdoor rated CAT5e cable and no surge protectors were used.

I guess the use of surge protectors is optional if the cameras are not mounted on a pole or metallic surface? Also, looking at your install picture, were the cables hidden under the eavestrough?

I just received my 2.0 MP PTZ and gosh that thing is big! It is beautifully designed and made though, I am sure having this bad boy hanging off the wall will ward of many potentially unwanted intruders haha.

Beautiful install job!!! -

284838_1.jpg

...we do have frequent thunderstorms in the spring and summer seasons and I've read the posts here regarding lightning protector for outdoor cameras.

First learn the basics. No protector - even the best protector in the world - does protection. Best protection is a hardwire that connects to what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules - earth ground. Ethernet wires cannot connect directly to earth. So a protector only does what a hardwire does better.

Below protectors is a vertical line connected to three horizontal lines. That should have all of your attention. That ground symbol defines protection. Again, protectors are only connecting devices to what actually does protection - that earth ground.

Concepts that apply include single point earth ground. That ethernet wire must drop down a service entrance grounding electrode. A protector is installed there to make a low impedance (ie less than 3 meter) connection to what is doing the protection. That earthing electrode must also be protection for AC electric, telephone, and TV cable. Otherwise all protection is compromised. This essential concept is called single point earth ground.

If any wire in every incoming cable does not connect low impedance (ie no sharp wire bends or splices) to that earth ground (either by hardwire or protector), then protection even for each camera is compromised.

Only scam protectors block or absorb surges. Effective protection means one can say how a surge (lightning is one example) connects low impedance to earth. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. That tiny earth ground symbol underneath each protector was by far the most important fact for effective protection.