Sign in to follow this  
ITtoCC

Top brands for small business? NVR & camera selection

Hello forumers! My background is in IT and now one of my customers has asked me to recommend a surveillance solution for them. I thought why not, I'm eager to learn and I know networking already so IP, PoE, port forwarding etc. are already familiar, and they already have a PoE switch at one site.

They are a small business but they have a three different sites that would require about 4-6 cameras on two of the sites and fewer on the last site. As a small business price is of course important to them, I believe the budget would need to be within reason for their size, so not 10k per location, but perhaps overall it could be a few thousand euros.

I've been reading about IP camera systems for the last few days and I think an easy to use NVR would be the best option. Here are some requirements:

• •Live view monitor in the reception area.
    •Very easy to use, appliance like NVR as receptionists change often and don't always have the time to learn to use a complex system. Basically the NVR should be able to turn off and on by just pressing a button and bootup right away to live view, so they don't have to do much.
    •Quiet. Shouldn't make so much noise that it disturbes the receptionists. Putting the NVR to a network closet would be one option, but then the display and mouse signals would need to be converted and brought to the reception area via CAT-cabling. The NVR might also have buttons which could be useful for the more savvy users.

Bonus features:

• •Web interface that works with Mac OS and browsers other than IE.
    •Mobile app for iOS and Android.

At this point we are talking about indoor monitoring of large rooms only, so probably decent bullet cams in the corner. I usually prefer quality professional gear in my IT work, I don't touch cheap and/or consumer/prosumer grade stuff. From what I've been reading, Dahua and Hikvision are popular especially in home use, but I'm not discounting them just because they're inexpensive, if they are the best choice for the job and budget. But in general I'm more comfortable recommending brands that have good support and gear that gives a high quality feeling.

Some brands I have access to:

Axis, Bosch, Hikvision, Sony, Ernitec, ACTi, AirLive, AVer, Digitus, MicroView, Milestone, Panasonic, Pelco, Samsung, Trendnet, Ubiquiti

Some of these drop out simply because they don't have a suitable NVR with live view. Axis Companion for example doesn't have live view.

What do you guys think? Hikvision or something like Bosch, Sony, Samsung or ACTi if not over budget?

After binging on youtube videos and manufacturer manuals, Bosch and ACTi seem overly complex for the use case. Several other brands I've dropped due to not supporting local monitor.

So far I'm liking Hikvision, Vivotek and Samsung Techwin NVRs for their simpler GUI. Anyone have any experience on all three?

What makes you think Axis doesn't do live view? I've installed several companion systems that do everything you ask, and there is zero noise because there is no NVR at all to deal with.

In the same boat as you. IT & cabling background looking to expand into cameras. We inherited a Milestone system (with Axis analog cameras) that I've been pretty impressed with, but can't say I have a large basis for comparison. Would love to hear thoughts from other folks in the biz regarding brand reputation.

In the same boat as you. IT & cabling background looking to expand into cameras. We inherited a Milestone system (with Axis analog cameras) that I've been pretty impressed with, but can't say I have a large basis for comparison. Would love to hear thoughts from other folks in the biz regarding brand reputation.

Axis analog camera?

Never seen one. Please post a picture if you can.

Axis analog camera?

Never seen one. Please post a picture if you can.

You're right.. meant to say Axis encoders with a mix of older analog cameras. Upgrading everything to IP is on the radar.

I have not ever had a problem with AXIS they are more money but they are very good quality. Good for large and small deployments. I wish the market would have allowed us to install all axis but cost enters into the discussion.

What makes you think Axis doesn't do live view? I've installed several companion systems that do everything you ask, and there is zero noise because there is no NVR at all to deal with.

I mean that an NVR with local monitor support is preferred. Axis Companion Recorder doesn't seem to have a display connector.

I don't have that much cabling experience so I would probably subcontract that and sell the hardware and do the configuration myself.

I'm still wrapping my head around brand placement in the marketplace. There seem to be expensive and complex systems for large big corporation installations and a lot of inexpensive brands. A lot of gray area in between.

Samsung is now Hanwha Techwin. I'll probably drop it from consideration. Unknown brand and who knows what will happen to the products. Shame as the NVR seemed nice and simple and it supported lots of different languages.

I have not ever had a problem with AXIS they are more money but they are very good quality. Good for large and small deployments. I wish the market would have allowed us to install all axis but cost enters into the discussion.

Do you typically use the Axis NVR software and/or nvr appliances as well?

I don't have that much cabling experience so I would probably subcontract that and sell the hardware and do the configuration myself.

I'm still wrapping my head around brand placement in the marketplace. There seem to be expensive and complex systems for large big corporation installations and a lot of inexpensive brands. A lot of gray area in between.

That is what I plan on doing. My cabling guys have a bit of camera experience so they can do the physical camera installs.

Agreed, it's a bit tricky to wade through the various options. The more I look into Axis it seems like a very solid choice, and scale-able. But I always like to have a couple of options to present to my clients.

I will say re:Ubiquiti, I install a lot of PTP wireless links with their stuff, their camera system is not very polished yet IMO and few camera options. But it is priced right, and I may give them a shot on a job coming up.