Sign in to follow this  
2JZGTE

New house construction wiring with cat5e, what cameras?

Hi all,

I'm a total noob when it comes to surveillance cameras, but we're stripping our old house and building everything from scratch, which means open walls and wired home networking. So I want to install 5 outdoor cameras and 2 indoor cameras. I'm in Montreal so we occasionally get -30C in winter (-40 with windchill) and +30C in summer (+40 with humidex). It goes without saying I want something weatherproof. One PTZ would be great, but not mandatory (I hear PoE isn't sufficient for PTZ).

I prefer PoE systems because of simplicity of wiring and installation. I also want to avoid wireless systems for numerous reasons.

I love the simplicity (and price) of the Lorex Plug and Play systems, but I'm thinking there must be more options, especially in terms of quality.

I'm already installing cat6 throughout the house for a home network (with cables running to almost every room) with a network switch, so can I set a camera surveillance network in parallel to that or is it better to just set up a completely different network? What are your recommendations here?

Or just fork out extra money and leave this to a pro?

Thanks