tinkertot

Purchasing first system

I have been reading some and see that a lot of people like Hikvision cameras and NVRs. I also see a ton of posts talking about how bad LOREX and Swann, Night Owl, Costco/BJs, etc are, but when I refer to this link http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35868 it appears they are typically all the same gear, just rebranded. Why bash the LOREX crowed and then buy Hikvision?

I would like to start out of the gate with a system for my home that is not "junk" but not full commercial grade gear. I am sure that a few Hikvision quality cameras will be fine, but what brands are out there that are at least a step or two up from them? I am a little confused as to where to start, yet I have read a tone of threads.

I want POE cameras and decent night vision.

The good thing about the costco systems is the return policy. Did you read his thread? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51333

Once you get a good ip system, if you want better night vision, the easy way is to add more light. If you do add IR lighting, don't buy those $10-15 dollar ones you see online, spend a little more and get ones that will last.