Sign in to follow this  
jknc

Advantages of 3+ Megapixels

Do the advantages of higher MP IP cameras out-weigh the cost?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do the advantages of higher MP IP cameras out-weigh the cost?

• Yes
    • No

Long time lurker, first time posting. I am having some trouble articulating the advantages, or lack there of, of higher megapixel cameras. Especially in a live monitoring situation. I've done some searching on the forum, and the rest of the interwebs, and I haven't come up with anything that conveys the point well.

Does anyone know of a good site or article that shows if there are advantages of high MP cameras in CCTV?

The answer is YES where you need it. If you monitoring a brome closet then 720P is fine. If you want to monitor a large parking lot then 30MP is a better choice. It all comes down to how much detail (PPF) that you are looking for.

30MP Camera example

f4lODpPIvpE

From my amateur opinion, but set up several systems any many cameras, the more the better. The higher resolution will get you a better picture farther away. With the higher MP, you have the ability to zoom in when needed. My main reason to go to IP higher MP was reading license plates. You can start to read them at 2MP (probably lower, but the distance is the factor), but at 3 or 4MP you can read them at a much farther distance. Like the previous post showed, you can go up to 60MP and so forth.

You can also consider lens angle. The wider the angle, the more MP you will need to see a clear picture.

Think of all those time you've seen on the news where they show the video, and you can't see crap. Usually because the object is farther away from the camera for the camera resolution.