Sign in to follow this  
shamilton

Understanding IP NVR's

Hi all,

I am currently running a 16 channel QVIS iApollo analogue DVR which has served me well over the last 4 or so years. I have been recently turning my eyes to the future and looking to upgrade to an IP based system.

I have a a couple questions to help me better understand them;

1. If an NVR has 16 individual PoE ports (advertised as 16 channels), can the PoE capability generally be turned off? (just thinking of switches etc being used in between the NVR and cameras), I have a dahua NVR in mind.

2. A follow on from Q1, if I have multiple cams connected to a switch upstream from the NVR and those multiple cams coming bach one one CAT5e, will I be able to potentially use more than 16 cameras on my NVR as long as I don't go over the total bandwidth (eg 200mbps).

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If you plug a non POE device into a POE port, it works just fine. It just doesnt use the POE function. Nothing to turn on or off. The device just needs POE or it doesnt.

If the NVR is advertised as 16 channel, that would be the max number of cameras, regaurdless of how many ports you use on the NVR.

Hi

Sorry to jump onto this after so long but i need to ask what I hope is a simple question. So with non poe cameras, do I need to set the ip before its connected to the NVR or should it just assign one.

Thanks

Peter

you dont have to assign an IP address unless you just want to. Has nothing to do with POE or non POE. Most camera systems now a days are plug and play, just plug them in and go.

Plug and play is nice, but I prefer to set up static IPs in cameras, it just makes going back into the camera itself easier when I have to adjust or change something that requires a login to the camera and not the NVR

hi guys am a newbie to this forum. i am a cctv tech for a country the Caribbean and i have experiencing some issues with a a few ip cams at some locations. i hope someone help me figure out the solution.

they are 3mp poe cams and they going offline on the nvr but you can see them on the poe switch but u cant ping them and also power is going to them cat5 cable and the run is less than 300ft we use keystone jacks and patch cable for end to end termination. when ever you plug off the camera and plug it back in it would come up and after a couple hours stop showing again.

bit rate 25

fraim rate 1500

set to constant bit rate