Mogsy007

Unsupported stream type - Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A

I've recently purchased a Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A in order to upgrade a failing existing CCTV system.

I bought this NVR as I wanted to go down the IP camera route and get away from coax cables.

I'm having an issue with a camera I purchased from a well know auction site (I can post links if that's allowed). The only identifying marks on the box are: Model: WNIRB3T-HO940A. It's a 4MP IP camera with a 2.8 to 12mm lens.

The issue I'm having is I continue to get an 'Unsupported stream type' error message on the live view screen of the NVR. No end of configuration changes on the camera will sort it out. If I hover over the information icon of the live view screen, it shows [0fps][a changing Kbps value][0x0][N/A] So the camera is recognised by the NVR and connects, but will not show an image on screen.

FYI, a working camera I have purchased shows [a changing fps value][a changing Kbps value][704x576][H.264]

The camera seller has told me that I need to knock the camera down to 2MP as the NVR is only capable of handling a total of 6MP spread across all cameras. For example, 1 x 2MP and 1 x 4MP and I'm done. I currently have the camera set at 1920x1080 and 4096

Doesn't the total bandwidth the NVR is capable of (160Mbps in this case) handling denote how many camera I can have connected whilst displaying a certain quality of image? The seller went on to quote the decoding capabilities of another Hikvision NVR as an example. The values for mine are 16-ch@4CIF, 12-ch@720P, 6-ch@1080P. What exactly does this mean? Can I only have 6 cameras at 1080P recording at once? Or is that 6 cameras on screen at once?

Can anyone please offer some advise on this?

DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A supports 16 ch up to 6Mpx *EACH* channel. You could connect 16 cameras, each camera running at 6Mpx, as long as you do not go over the total bandwidth when adding up the cameras.

But do try to make your camera 1920x1080. Some old firmwares have unsupported resolutions; like they would support 2MP, 3MP and 5MP, but not 4MP. Just to make sure, configure your camera at 1920x1080, H264 (if it supports other compressions formats like H264H, H264+, H265, etc, disable them).

The decoding capabilities refer to the live view; that means that you can only decode 6ch 2MP at the same time. If you want to view a 4x4 camera grid, you will have to view the sub streams.

DS-7616NI-E2/8P/A supports 16 ch up to 6Mpx *EACH* channel. You could connect 16 cameras, each camera running at 6Mpx, as long as you do not go over the total bandwidth when adding up the cameras.

But do try to make your camera 1920x1080. Some old firmwares have unsupported resolutions; like they would support 2MP, 3MP and 5MP, but not 4MP. Just to make sure, configure your camera at 1920x1080, H264 (if it supports other compressions formats like H264H, H264+, H265, etc, disable them).

The decoding capabilities refer to the live view; that means that you can only decode 6ch 2MP at the same time. If you want to view a 4x4 camera grid, you will have to view the sub streams.

Thanks for that advice. I thought I was being spun a yarn regarding the cameras that can be connected.

I have the camera set to 1080p and h264 and it just won't display, yet it does use up some bandwidth.

I've requested to return the camera as it just won't work.