htb1

Connecting NVR and POE Switch on Different Routers

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I hope I can explain my situation in the details that you need.

I have a GW Security system (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CDR2KRI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) this is the link for it. It has IP cameras, Digital NVR and POE Switch. I had everything hooked up in the same location and worked with no problem. I read that this system has the capability of keeping the POE switch where it is and moving the NVR and the monitoring to a different location (not on the same router). Now I am having a hard time connecting the NVR to the POE switch via IP addresses and the such. I looked everywhere but could not find anything on the internet that addresses this installation and this particular brand. Any help you provide or a place you can point me to, or a youtube video I can watch would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Mattaggie and thank you for your reply. I have IP cameras and I thought you are able to connect to IP cameras from any place as long as you have internet connection. Is my information not accurate? Thank you.

Are you trying to put the NVR somewhere where it will be required to access the cameras over the internet? If that is the case, I don't think you can do it with a NVR.

The cameras are accessible thru the internet, but you need a router with port forwarding and your WAN ISP provider IP address to do it. That will let you look at individual cameras.

I am not an expert, but I have never seen a NVR be able to access cameras over the internet, but it might be possible. My NVR's need to be on the same network as stated above.

I do not know your reason for doing this, because you can access the NVR over the internet to do anything you need. If you must do it, you probably want a PC based NVR software. I have never used one, but I think they are a lot more flexible, and more indented for what you are trying to do.

Hello Mattaggie and thank you for your reply. I have IP cameras and I thought you are able to connect to IP cameras from any place as long as you have internet connection. Is my information not accurate? Thank you.

Hi yes your info is accurate....NVR = network video recorder.

Your cameras can be in one place and NVR other side of world.

There are problems also associated with doing it ...... Loss of Internet connection video image reduced.

But a cheap way around that is two NVRs..... One at camera location the other at monitoring location ..... This way has the advantage of two lots of recording storage at two locations.

So how do you make that work? Do you assign local IP addresses to the networked cameras?

Cameras will already be on local network with ports.

To connect away from local network its external IP plus ports.

tomcctv, I wasnt quite understanting what he was trying to do, but I get it now.

you'll need to find out the public IP address that your cameras are on. From a computer on the network your cameras are on, go to http://www.whatismypublicip.com/ that will tell you your public IP address.

You will also need to open up certain ports for each camera on the modem/router that your cameras are on. Then you tell your NVR at second location to look for that public IP address with that open port. For example, lets say your public IP is 12.345.67.89 and the port is 80, then you tell your NVR to look for camera 12.345.67.89:80. I think this is correct. You may need your manufacturer to help you with the exact details. I used GW Security once and it was ok. For DYI probably not a bad brand.