Sign in to follow this  
electronicsuk

Hikvision iVMS 4200 - remote playback (off site)

Hi all. I have iVMS 4200 installed and running with five cameras. Storage server, iVMS client and stream server all installed on one machine. The server PC has two network ports, one onto the wider internet, and another onto an isolated VLAN with just the cameras.

I want to be able to play back content from the storage server on a physically remote machine. Remove view would be nice too, but not essential. To keep things simple, I'm using a remote machine on the same LAN to begin with. I have iVMS 4200 installed on the remote PC, and can get it to see the storage server. However, when I go to the remote playback screen in iVMS, there are no cameras listed.

If I've understood what I've read elsewhere on this forum, each individual camera needs to be set up again as an encoding device on the remote machine. As I understand it, this works by using stream server on the main NVR PC to pass a stream for each camera back out to one or more remote clients. Unfortunately, my remote client doesn't seem to be able to see the stream server. I suspect this is because the stream server is bound to the VLAN network interface and not the wider LAN, therefore it isn't visible to my remote PC. It seems that stream server will only receive and then send streams back out on the same network interface.

So, is this how it's all supposed to work? Sounds a bit crackers to me if each camera really does have to be added as an encoding device on every remote client. How would that work on a large installation with 50+ cameras?! If it true, is there any way to forward streams back out on the LAN interface without compromising the VLAN and making the IP cameras directly visible to the wider network?