Newbie here.

I have a Foscam rotate/tilt IP Cam which I have had running nicely for 3 years.

I can remotely view it via the Foscam website via log in.

I recently purchased a small generic mini IP Cam.

I cannot figure out how to have both of them plugged in without the original cam failing.

I'm wondering if its maybe something to do with port number or port forwarding (which I am completely unfamiliar with).

I use a Netgear router with my modem.

Most IP cameras will show their specific MAC address on a sticker on the bottom of the camera. The Netgear router has a default local IP address of 192.168.1.1. Using that as a URL on a web browser, like Safari, should take you to the router login page. The default Netgear user name is admin and the default password is password. On the Attached Devices page you should be able to find the cameras. On the UPNP page you should be able to find any ports automatically mapped for any connected devices. On the Port Forwarding page you should be able to complete any manual port forwarding for your cameras.

https://portforward.com/netgear/ has a pretty comprehensive listing of Netgear routers and more specific port forwarding instructions. You may have to check with your ISP on how to check the port forwarding on the modem.

I would check the simple stuff first.

Are these cameras POE?

When you say failing, do you mean you can't view it remotely or it loses power?

If it's POE and the camera loses power when plugging in the second, you may have exceeded the power budget of the switch.

If you are just losing remote viewing, maybe an IP address conflict? See if the new camera's default IP is the same as the first.

Just checking the basics. Probably the port forwarding though.