Davidmix

Problem with Mega Pixel cameras

As clients move to Mega Pixel cameras I am noticing a problem. None of the manufactures are providing the capability to "digitally Zoom" with-in a frame. If they offer a 3MP or higher camera they should provide the software to make use of that great image. Lorex, a division of Flir is notorious for doing this but I know others also fail Yes, they make great images but are worthless for Id'ing a license plate, even faces. Your phone can do it, it's not rocket science!

As clients move to Mega Pixel cameras I am noticing a problem. None of the manufactures are providing the capability to "digitally Zoom" with-in a frame. If they offer a 3MP or higher camera they should provide the software to make use of that great image. Lorex, a division of Flir is notorious for doing this but I know others also fail Yes, they make great images but are worthless for Id'ing a license plate, even faces. Your phone can do it, it's not rocket science!

Lorex dahua have always had that function. And also on most name brand manufacturers

Why is this tolerated?! Smart phones would be slammed if they could not do that with a simple two-finger spread! I am positive it's a simple software solution. A POE IP camera barely needs compression for transmission back to NVR, yet any one image cannot be zoomed! I know high school kids that can write that code. That's embarrassing!

Why is this tolerated?! Smart phones would be slammed if they could not do that with a simple two-finger spread! I am positive it's a simple software solution. A POE IP camera barely needs compression for transmission back to NVR, yet any one image cannot be zoomed! I know high school kids that can write that code. That's embarrassing!

What are you going on about ??

What system are you using that does not allow it ??

In this instance, I am referring to Lorex systems. Installed/commissioned a bunch of those lately. Yes, Tom they do digitally zoom(a bit). The point I may not have made clearly is: the "zoomed" image is worthless. The manufacturer even admits to this, yet they still keep selling these systems of MP cameras and NVR's that cant provided a usable image in "zoomed mode". Avigilon has solved it for Super Mega Pixel cameras, even in Remote viewing! Yes, they solved it and that's why they are far more expensive. But, it's not rocket science. Basically tom, I 'm just ranting, tired of the client coming to me a saying they can't zoom.

Please don't lecture me about cameras with motorized zooms or vari focus. I know all about it but that's not what the client wants - if a thief parks right in front of their shop window with a new 4MP camera pointed at it, in broad daylight. They expect to zoom in on that image recorded or not, and get a clean license plate when the car is only 25 feet away. But they can't. The police can, by extracting One frame and running through Photo Shop. Camera's aren't wrong, it's the software.

In this instance, I am referring to Lorex systems. Installed/commissioned a bunch of those lately. Yes, Tom they do digitally zoom(a bit). The point I may not have made clearly is: the "zoomed" image is worthless. The manufacturer even admits to this, yet they still keep selling these systems of MP cameras and NVR's that cant provided a usable image in "zoomed mode". Avigilon has solved it for Super Mega Pixel cameras, even in Remote viewing! Yes, they solved it and that's why they are far more expensive. But, it's not rocket science. Basically tom, I 'm just ranting, tired of the client coming to me a saying they can't zoom.

Please don't lecture me about cameras with motorized zooms or vari focus. I know all about it but that's not what the client wants - if a thief parks right in front of their shop window with a new 4MP camera pointed at it, in broad daylight. They expect to zoom in on that image recorded or not, and get a clean license plate when the car is only 25 feet away. But they can't. The police can, by extracting One frame and running through Photo Shop. Camera's aren't wrong, it's the software.

WTH are you smoking. Stop installing systems for anyone..you are a danger..you dont understand basic optics and resolution..wow...dont blame lorex..blame yourself...

Hi. First of all you need to understand mega pixel..... it is clear in your statement you don't

Avigilon has solved it for Super Mega Pixel cameras, even in Remote viewing!

Yes they always have for there large meg pixel...... how can you compare lorex low meg pixel to avigilon large megapixel??

How are you doing the zoom in lorex .... which is a dahua system

There are two ways to zoom .... how are you doing it...... it also has zoom after burning off ... have you used that ?

Please don't lecture me about cameras with motorized zooms or vari focus. I know all about it but that's not what the client wants - if a thief parks right in front of their shop window with a new 4MP camera pointed at it, in broad daylight. They expect to zoom in on that image recorded or not, and get a clean license plate when the car is only 25 feet

If you as a installer can not get a plate from 25ft with a 4mp. (Without zoom then give up on installing). An old 540tvl analog camera will pick a plate at 25ft.

I 'm just ranting, tired of the client coming to me a saying they can't zoom.

Again this points to the install and client training on handover.....

You don't want a lecture........ a plate at 25ft with a 4mp camera in the day time is easy ....... you need to check if in fact your systems are set to 4mp also if system is recording at its highest res