Sign in to follow this  
nrnoble

IP cameras only works when connected to DVR, not PoE switch.

At the moment I am unable to connect my cheap Zmodo cameras directly to my PoE switch. The cameras don't turn on unless connected to the Zmodo DVR. Is this because the cameras are designed only to function when connected to DVR, or do I need further education on PoE, IP cameras, etc?

I've decades of experience with computers and IP networks, but no experience with security systems or IP cameras. I bought a cheap Zmodo IP camera system to play around with before investing in a major system $$$. The Larger goal is to buy a high-quality system after I am better educated as to what to buy, etc.

one possibility is that your switch is not on the same subset as your DVR. So if your DVR is 192.168.0.1, your switch must be 192.168.0.X. Some switches are plug and play, some have to be configured.

Its also possible your DVR is the issue. Never used Zmodo before. I use a PC as the NVR/DVR and the cameras --> POE switch --> PC networking works fine.

At the moment I am unable to connect my cheap Zmodo cameras directly to my PoE switch. The cameras don't turn on unless connected to the Zmodo DVR. Is this because the cameras are designed only to function when connected to DVR, or do I need further education on PoE, IP cameras, etc?

I've decades of experience with computers and IP networks, but no experience with security systems or IP cameras. I bought a cheap Zmodo IP camera system to play around with before investing in a major system $$$. The Larger goal is to buy a high-quality system after I am better educated as to what to buy, etc.

Do you get a link light when plugged into the switch. Does the camera power up?

If not then the cameras and DVR are not using POE.

POE goes over the same conductors as data (1-2 3-6) Orange and Green pairs.

Non POE devices may use the non data pairs (4-5 7-8) Blue and Brown pairs to send voltage.

Do you get a link light when plugged into the switch. Does the camera power up?

If not then the cameras and DVR are not using POE.

POE goes over the same conductors as data (1-2 3-6) Orange and Green pairs.

Non POE devices may use the non data pairs (4-5 7-8) Blue and Brown pairs to send voltage.

The cameras do not power on when connected to the PoE switch. The cameras only power on when connected to Zmodo DVR.

I will check the DVR specs to see if it uses PoE. It very well could be using IP and power, but not PoE as you suggested. The cameras use a non standard connector; it looks like a mini-usb connector. The 50ft cables for each camera have a standard ethernet connector on one end (DVR), and a female mini-usb (or whatever) on the other (Cam).

All devices are all on the same local subnet, everything is wired (except iPad). I can see the cameras from my PC's when everything is connected to the DVR, and each camera has its own DHCP IP (192.168.1.x). The camera's IP show up in the router's table of connected devices, but list them as an unknown type\name.