I want to locate 2-4 cameras at the driveway gate about 600' from the NVR in the house. I can trench in some underground CAT 5s in conduit to there, but what else do I need to do and get.

You would need to use some kind of mid span device as the POE would only be good for approx. 300 feet and you are twice that. I would also run outdoor rated cat5 or 6 and check the electrical code for the requirement for entrance protection if going form one building to another.

I will have 120v power at the gate, where the cameras will be. Is there a device I can add at the end, for the additional power requirement?

Hi. Your problem is the distance ...... You are exceeding the 100m distance for IP. Regardless of power being at the gate.

You have a few options

One is swap out your Swann NVR and go for a hybrid that does both IP cameras and 2mp cvi cameras.

You can then run 4 cvi 2mp cameras to you gate with just one cat5 cable...........this is your cheapest option.

Or you can use IP extenders ......which will cost you a lot more than NVR swap plus 4 cvi cameras.

Going the IP extender option don't buy the cheap China stuff

These are the best for IP transmition

http://www.veracityglobal.com

Slowly I am starting to get it. But from what I can find CVI is coax. I don't mind getting a different NVR or is it a DVR? as long as I can use my Swann cameras. I would also like better hardware as I have not been able to watch the system remotely.

My NVR got smoked from a power surge. So I am looking to purchase a new one that can run my poe cameras and cameras 600' away. What should I get?