afewcams

Whats the better IP CAM form factor for outdoor use?

Hello,

I've been thinking about this for a while and haven't come to a conclusion yet so maybe the veterans here can chime in on their experience.

The two most common form factors I see are either a bullet style cam or a dome style. On the face of it I am leaning towards a bullet cam being better in terms of optics and clarity since there is no dome glass in front of the lens to potentially cause things like glare from IR lighting or dirt build-up on the glass.

Then there is the obvious benefit of a dome in that its more protected from vandalism because of its design. Another benefit I see in favor of a dome is that its a bit less obvious and can blend into its surroundings better if that sort of thing matters to you.

From what I've seen it looks like many of the top offerings from various vendors do away with IR within the CAM altogether. My assumption for that is probably related to reducing the potential Glare issue previously mentioned. Maybe they also do it for reliability purposes? Less things to go wrong resulting in the need to de-install the CAM and ship it back for repair....etc For the top models it looks like they just assume the User will install secondary IR lighting instead.

Lastly, there is the light gathering capabilities of the various form factors. It seems a dome may win here assuming the bullet is using some form of "Sun Visor" which looks like it may contribute to having less light gathering capability. I dunno though.

What are your thoughts/experience on this matter...Thanks in advance