Sign in to follow this  
mhyne

Choice of NVR and cameras (HIK vs others)

I am looking to install a new CCTV system. I recently bought a Hikvision IP camera to play around with and I am pretty happy with it.

I need to purchase an NVR now (and more cameras). I am only going to use IP cameras. Probably PoE models.

One of my friends said I did not need a Hikvision NVR because they are pretty expensive and there are a bunch of cheaper NVRs on ebay (like VIP, Dahau, etc). He is using a VIP NVR with Dahau cameras.

So I wanted advice as to what NVRs I should be considering. I want to use this Hikvision camera but also want the option to use other brands of IP cameras (ie dahau). I hear some NVRs cannot support different brands of cameras.

I have also been told I should try and get an NVR without internal PoE ports and use an external PoE switch. Can most of the NVRs support IP cameras on there WAN port powered from another PoE switch ?

I think you are better with a NVR and or software that matches the camera mfg. I have found if I can keep the same mfg all the way through issues are easier to deal with and if you buy from the same supplier tech support is more seamless. As far as seperate POE switch opposed to POE on a NVR I kind of like the switch idea because the location of the NVR is not always the best place for all the data lines to terminate. You may want to run the data to a closet and the NVR may be in somebody's office on the other side of the facility for example.