theTastyCat

8MP Hik *crashes* my NVR software when set to ONVIF!

Hey all - I'm using Genius Vision as NVR software because it's free for the six channels I need and it's not a resource hog on the old PC I'm using as a PCNVR. It's worked great to this point with six 3MP Hik turrets; one died and I replaced it with an 8MP Hik turret. Picture is fantastic, by the way!

Only issue is getting it to work with the software. It would not come up no matter what I did - thankfully someone told me that Hik has disabled ONVIF by default in the new firmware. I switched ONVIF back on for this cam and it literally crashed the program - "Genius Vision has encountered a problem and needs to close." So I close it, it auto-restarts, and says "no connection" - that one cam being ONVIF just basically destroys this software.

Tonight I went to far as to reinstall iVMS and get it all configured (which wasn't simple), just to remember that it is a resource hog in comparison, at least on this old PC I'm using. And it is super-cumbersome to review footage.

So I'm back to trying to get this last (and brand new!) cam working on this old system - any ideas why this new Hik turret, when set to ONVIF, is freaking out the software? Perhaps there's an additional setting I need to be using when I make it ONVIF? I haven't had any luck setting it up as just an IP cam - for whatever reason Hikvision isn't one of the 100 manufacturers listed.

I am extremely grateful for any help you can give!

Good idea - will try it tomorrow! Thank you!

Hi. It’s only to test...... first problem is h265 if your old pc can’t cope with returning h265 to h264 is will use a lot of cpu ... the crash

8mp is your graphics card upto that task

TOM...whoever you are, wherever you are, please know that YOU SAVED THE DAY TODAY. The issue was INSTANTLY fixed when I went from 265+ to 264. I can't tell you how great it was to see all six of my cams running in basically the one and only program that was resource-light enough to monitor all six cams live.

Every day we have a million reasons online to lose faith in the human race - but there are people like you who give their time and effort to helping complete strangers. You make up for all the rest!

Others had suggested either buying an NVR or getting a different program - just buying the commercial version of my software would be $120 - and even then, no guarantees it would work!!

Again, I seriously cannot thank you enough. Wish I could buy you a cup of coffee at least! Thanks to you, all six cams are recording - gives some pretty good peace of mind.

Hope you have a great night - you certainly made mine.

Your welcome gals to help ...

Just to add .... going h264 will use your storage up quick with that many 8mp cameras .... just something to keep an eye on