Sign in to follow this  
LordX

Need a WI-FI Camera setup - Need ideas and tips!

Hey all, I have a cottage/camp that I need to put some cameras up for.

I have a Lorex system at home which is wired and I am very pleased with it - but there is no feasible way to run wires with the way the land is setup here.

So now I am into the wi-fi camera realm, and have a bunch of questions.

1. Do they have good 1080p night vision cameras that are wifi?

2. Does the DVR unit itself control the wi-fi? (As opposed to the cameras having to connect to my router at the cottage, which has poor range) (I can connect the DVR to my router with an ethernet)

3. RANGE. What unit would offer me good range? From the back of the cottage to the lake could be up to 100 feet, AND with a hill.

4. A general question about camera placement: I am going to be putting in a motion activated flood light, should I mount the camera above the flood light? So it would be 'behind' the light? In my head that seems to make the most sense.

Thanks for any and all tips - they are appreciated!

you may want to look at installing access points and plugging regular ip cameras into them we have used ubiquity for this type of network. you would install a small enclosure put in a poe switch and run your camera and access point form that location. THat way you can extend your regular network or put the cameras and APs on their own network or subnet.