Sign in to follow this  
Quantum

Hanwha ('Samsung') PNO-9080R Disappoints

I thought I was pretty hot stuff when I bought this expensive camera. But the day image is mediocre, and the night image is almost completely obscured by bugs swarming around in a cloud doing their mating dance. Apparently the IR wavelength is just to their liking.

Maybe I could mount an IR floodlight above the camera to move the bugs up there? I only have PoE out there so are there any floods that work on PoE, or is there a PoE to DC converter?

If a guy were willing to spend some money in order to get good night vision, maybe 4Mp, what kind of cameras would y'all recommend?

Hi. I would look at your camera setting first.

If your not happy with 12mp day time then settings are wrong.

How are you viewing the camera

Using its web interface.

When I first installed it it seemed fine, especially during the day. Now it's not good, although I am viewing it in a virtual machine with Windows since there's no WebComponents for Linux.

At night there's a bright corona around the top corners, as if there are leaves there, but I don't think there are, at least close. They seem to wave with the breeze I'll look closer next time.

Been looking into IR floods, and it seems the Secret Code Words are "poe splitter". This breaks out voltage from a PoE line. Only one I've found that's not suspicious (IOW actually is 802.11at) is this one. They also have a 24v/25w one.

So powering external floods seems to be solved. Now to find a quality IR flood.

Since I seem to be doing New Science, time for a little giving back.

It's very difficult to find a PoE splitter which actually supports 802.11at. (Most of them lie) This is important because my Hanwha camera draws 13w and 802.11af only supports 15.4w max. So the GAT it is.

Personally I hate the destruction Amazon has done to the retail landscape, not to mention their pervasive and egregious data mining... but they are a good source of information. So I find the products I like, then buy direct or from eBat, and often I don't have to pay tax or shipping.

The JC IR Illuminator with 12 LEDs got the most and the best reviews. Each LED draws 1w so the total draw is 12w@12v. My best camera draws 13w, and the budget in my Netgear GS728-TP is 30w, so a total of 25w is just fine even with my most powerful camera. And the illuminator automatically turns off in day.

I'll mount the flood at least 3' above the camera. Don't want it too far away or there will be parallax causing shadows. Then of course I'll turn off the camera's IR emitters to move the bugs upstairs.