jeromephone

DVR s with operating system embedded on chip

I have seen a few dvr cards advertised that have the operating system embedded on the dvr card so no operating system needed on harddrive. Are any of these good or bad ? I am needing some small gas station type setups and am considering this option. Thanks

the only type I know of are called DOM's. It is a small IDE "box" that connects like a hard drive but is not a hard drive. holds XP & DVR software on it.

DVR Card with the os on it?

I saw several but PI mFG shows a dvr card with 4 inputs and the linux operating system embedded on a chip Apparently you just plug in this card and you don't install any operating system files on the PC I was just wondering if this is a route to look at for some smaller systems

I have seen a few dvr cards advertised that have the operating system embedded on the dvr card so no operating system needed on harddrive. Are any of these good or bad ? I am needing some small gas station type setups and am considering this option. Thanks

Hi!

We are selling a PC based DVR system using DOM (Disk On Module).

The system:

HikVision Hardware compression cards.

Windows XPe (more like Windows XP Pro SP2) but without all the stuff you dont need. The XPe we use is under 1 GB so when you compare it with a standard XP Pro SP2 with all the updates about 4,4GB. The OS is then more safe regarding failure in harddisk error, virus and also needs smaller hardware power to run.

DVR Software with all main features with up to 64 channels etc.

JD

Yup you can make virtually and DVR run from a compact flash. Thats all those "DOM"s are, its a compact flash card inside a CF>IDE adapter.

There are some pitfalls indeveloping these things but once done it can be rock'n.

Yes, there are some DVR run on DOM now. it will be the next generation PC Based DVR, due to its excellent stability and easily operation (just plug and play).

Two kinds of DOM DVR:

- With Linux OS and Linux DVR software builtin DOM;

- With Windows XP embedded OS and windows dvr software inside.

most dom dvr suppliers use Linux platform, since linux is the best platform for embedded design, and more stable. While some companies uses XPe, but few people will choose it.

Some major players in Linux DVR supplier - DOM DVR:

- VPON in Taiwan, working with their own software compression cards.

- Softwell in Taiwan, working with their own software compression cards.

- Linovision in China, working with hikvision DSP hardware compression cards.

you can search more details in their website.

Persanally, i think Linux PC DVR will be the trend.

Persanally, i think Linux PC DVR will be the trend.

I have to agree, mainly due to the release of MS Vista, though I still think it has a little way to go just yet, hopefully more large manufacturers/developers start going that route though, such as GeoVision, Avermedia, etc.

I think that the LINUX wave is a result of pre Windows XP SP2 solutions, before SP2 XP wasnt any superb OS. But after SP2 I must say I havent had any crash with any DVR system built on Socket 775. (I had 1 harddrive DOA) other then that all are running. So I think that when MS now see that they need to work harder they will and Vista will hit back, other then that it will be harder for MS to make better and better OS. Since XP do things pretty good, they will have a hard time to make the next version so much better that it will be a huge sale sucsess. You can compare it with the world record on 100 meter, it will take longer and longer time before we get a new record, and one day it will be impossible to set a new world record!

But offcourse, Windows XP/Vista have many things that can be improved: What about a mix between Windows XP PRO and XP Embedded, where system builders can make more specialized versions before installing so that you can have a optimized OS for DVR's. The XPe is very good except that hardware parts/drivers change a bit to often for me so that it will be to much work to keep the image up to date. Last time I did calculate the XPe vs XP Pro cost I came to a break even at 50 licenses, and that is not any labout included developing the images.

Also a thought is that Windows platform is more or less alone on the pro user/business market that are the largest buyers of security systems.

But one thing is sure and that is that nothing is!

Have a nice new year!

JD

We have been building/installing VPON systems (Linux DOM) for the last 3 - 4 years. The ease of DOM's have made us stay away from Windows systems. That said some pros and cons on linux:

Pros:

1. OS not HDD dependent

2. Don't have to pay for the OS

3. Fast COLD BOOT

4. User friendly - specially using the IR Controller

5. Truly Plug-N-Play

6. Remote Firmware Updates

7. GUI customization using local/remote FTP

8. Minimum/No installer/user interaction - post installation - no windows updates, AV, etc

9. IDIOT Proof and dedicated - hard to mess up the DVR Core even if the user tries hard

Cons:

1. Need specific hardware - specially VGA and Audio Cards

2. Web Servers are not that Windows friendly - specially with Vista (ActiveX signing issues)

3. Video quality not up to par with windows contenders (similar priced)

4. Need a Laptop or linux/windows boot (rescue) CD to work with the DVR HDD's

5. No multitasking - PC becomes a dedicated DVR -

These are some of the pros and cons off the top of my head and based on the VPON DOM Model.

Thanks 3awired. these are the Pros and Cons for most of the Linux DOM DVR i saw. i think the information will help customers to make a decision between windows DVR and Linux DVR.

More and more customers are looking for high quality Linux DVR. i think these information will be helpful:

1. Image quality;

2. Compression efficiency;

3. Software functions;

4. service provided by supplier;

So people should know:

1. What compression standard it use? H.264, MPEG4, MJPEG, etc. In my opinion, H.264 is the most advanced compression algorithm.

2. Is it hardware compression or software compression? Undoubtedly, hardware compression card has much better performance and support more channels in one system. Most hardware compression boards support max. 32 chanels or even 64 channels in one system.

3. Does the supplier has strong linux development capability?

Everyone of our DVR’s was shipping with a DOM in early 2007. It was going great until we got a bad run of drives. We had to replace 200 DVR’s in a matter of 2 weeks. NOT good! We have had fewer issues with SATA drives.

I think the DVR run on DOM will be the next generation PC Based DVR too.

They are some related products in China with good price.

On the other hand,some LINUX DVR card have simular function,but you need install the OS and driver on one PC DVR.

As I know the Linux embedded DVR solution is good for DVR because of the sucure and reliability advantage.

Regarding to the price, I think China may have cheap price, but doubt for the quality both hardware and software.

I know some brand name such as VPON, Cybervision... all from Taiwan.

also there are some Linux solutions are from Koera.

I'm trying to figure out who's built the OS for the Defender-USA products. Anyone have any idea?? Thanks

I'm no DVR expert, but you could always try mounting one of the drives in a PC running Linux

and do some snooping around. Sometimes, if you can use Telnet to remotely connect to a machine,

you can look for commands or files in there that might help identify the mfgr.

Does "uname -r" work in most DVRs? I'm assuming they don't include that app, but maybe some do.

I'm trying to figure out who's built the OS for the Defender-USA products. Anyone have any idea?? Thanks