cmarin

Netrome security black box NS480

I have a customer that bought this pc based dvr- running vista- on 512mb memory- was having problems recording and freezing. upgraded the memory to two gigs and it works better except that the picures on the screen have dissapeared- they are blank- if I go to search, it is recording fine- it just wont display- thats problem 1-

2 is that I added a 1 tb hardrive to be able to record more days- but the software does not have the option to set it recording on this new drive...

anyone familiar with this?

I have a customer that bought this pc based dvr- running vista- on 512mb memory- was having problems recording and freezing. upgraded the memory to two gigs and it works better except that the picures on the screen have dissapeared- they are blank- if I go to search, it is recording fine- it just wont display- thats problem 1-

Is it displaying ANYTHING on the main live screen, or does it just have little blank windows where the cameras go? If you take out the upgrade RAM, does the display go back to normal? If the PC uses onboard video, it's possible mis-matched RAM is causing a display problem.

2 is that I added a 1 tb hardrive to be able to record more days- but the software does not have the option to set it recording on this new drive...

anyone familiar with this?

Have you configured the drive in Windows Disk Management so it's available to the system?

the image looks gray- the memory is not mismatched- two slots with 1gb each of the same brand-

works with the old memory-but freeses

hard drive has been installed and is on line-

thanks,

the image looks gray- the memory is not mismatched- two slots with 1gb each of the same brand-

works with the old memory-but freeses

Assuming the system uses onboard video: If one of the new sticks is faulty, or if the driver doesn't like the timing or some other aspect of the new RAM, that could causing a problem with DirectX or the overlay (depending on which the system uses). You could try reinstalling the video driver, or put the old RAM back in, note the timing settings in the BIOS, and then set the new RAM to match.

what about the new hard drive? I dont see any option to added as a recording drive, or will it just start filling up when the other one is full?

what about the new hard drive? I dont see any option to added as a recording drive, or will it just start filling up when the other one is full?

No idea, I'm not familiar with that specific system. I know older Video Insight systems only supported recording to a single drive; this may have a similar limitation. You may have to set the software to use only the 1TB drive (which should give you LOTS of storage anyway).

In some cases, with the older VI setups, we set multiple drives/partitions as Dynamic drives in Windows, and then formatted them as a single striped set... you can go that way, but be aware that if one drive fails, it will destroy the stripe and ALL of your video data.

So I wanted to give a SitRep for anyone that is still using this system. We are at a stable state now with our system and are able to record video. I've finally been able to workshop the program and my Netrome BlackBox NS840 system and find some operating protocols that must be active for the system to work. Recently, I found that the computer would automatically shut itself down after about 3 hours. After looking into this phenomenon, I found that the Windows Vista Home Basic Authentication had failed. I tried repeatedly to enter the product key that is mounted on the machine, but not luck. It repeatedly said that the key "was already in use." I called Microsoft which explained to me that the product key was blocked and that I had to contact the manufacturer (Netrome). I explained Netrome has gone out of business, but in the end they offered no support and pretty much told me I had no options.

So now I was at a crossroads and had the choice to update the system to Windows 7 or revert to XP, since these were two operating systems I actually owned. I chose to revert to XP since I felt it was closer to the preinstalled Vista that came with Blackbox. I did a fresh install of XP, set up a 50GB and 100GB Parition. I then updated all the drivers for my machine and the newly installed motherboard which came with a driver disk. I then installed the 8 channel DVR card using the Netrome driver that I found online (which I can provide to anyone via email, if requested). Now, I started tweaking the system slightly to find out what difference would cause what results.

-The 8 Channel DVR MUST have the specific driver issued by Netrome or you will receive [Error:bb001, pDeviceVideo->GetDeviceInfo()Fail!!].

-Screen resolution must be set for 1280 x 1024 or you will get grey/blue/green screens.

-Hardware Acceleration but be turned on or you will receive [Direct overary init error (capsDrv.dwcaps&DDCaps_Overary)] & [Direct Overary Init Error (is overlays supported)].

-An audio device must be connected to the audio output or you will receive [(Error:bb001, pDeviceVideo->GetDeviceInfo()Fail!!].

With these steps completed, I was able to see a frozen picture on the Live Screen but could access the Setup Menu and see that my video was being recorded. I could then go the the "Search & Playback" Menu and review what video had been recorded and play as normally intended. As the Live Screen functionality would be preferred, I'm going to experiment a little more. I have read a few articles that specify that adjusting "User Accounts," or downloading the appropriate DirectX might solve the frozen live screen problem. I will report back once I've tried these two steps.