keefe007

Remote Backup of DVR Video

I have had a few clients ask about a remote backup solution for DVR video. Clients are worried that if someone breaks into their facility, the whole DVR server may be stolen and/or destroyed. The best solution to that problem would be to have the video data mirrored across the internet to a secure server. For obvious reasons the video mirroring would have to be pretty much live, or at least minutely. Has anyone set something like this up for their clients or know of a solution that would work best? Please share your experiences.

-KJ-

Lockbox and or external RAID.

cheapest way is to throw in an old quad and loop out to that, put a VCR and BW monitor in thei face so thats what they take ..

unless it is a very large client (Boeing, Government, Savvis, etc..) they most likely will not want to pay for offsite video storage, especially when storing data longterm. There is a company in the northeast US that offers storage. Remote Vault or something like that.

Many companies have attempted to store longterm video and have failed due to high costs and low demand for the service. Well, the demand is there, but the willingness to pay for it is not.

In your particular situation, you could use CenterV2 and have your company store the video in your facility on the CenterV2 Server, however, the liability factor for storing a customers video data may not be worth the headache for the fees that you could justify for offering the service.

CenterV2 works fairly well, especially if you have customers who have multiple sites and wish to use it as a means to eliminate multiple guard tours of facilities. We have a few customers who use it and they were able to justify the expense for a very nice high end security room with video servers since the CenterV2 allowed them to eliminate 4 employees salaries.

scottj[/url]

cheapest way is to throw in an old quad and loop out to that, put a VCR and BW monitor in thei face so thats what they take ..

One of the main clients that is looking for this needs something offsite. They have been robbed before by *very* smart criminals. A lock-box wouldn't stop them. The first time they were robbed the criminals cut the phone and power to the building, smashed the cameras and followed the wire to the system and then took the whole system.

Just the fact that criminals are criminals... makes them all stupid.

on the same subject, when do you think GEO (or other using similar to the C2 software) will come out with a neat little 4 channel stand alone embedded DVR, that works just for the C2/Monitoring software. Asking cause cant stick PCs in these ghetto homes around here, they wont last and to large, but there is a market there for sure if it was cheap and small and tough enough, and all it was doing was sending video via Burglar alarm motion or door sensors, like a wall mount DVR right next to the alarm panel. When i say small, something like the March Network Wall Mount DVRs, but at much less a cost as they dont need any Firmware features besides sending the alarm triggers, and perhaps an RCA out for the home TV.

One of the main clients that is looking for this needs something offsite. They have been robbed before by *very* smart criminals. A lock-box wouldn't stop them. The first time they were robbed the criminals cut the phone and power to the building, smashed the cameras and followed the wire to the system and then took the whole system.

darn, they smart up there hey!

only other way would be a web site with a large FTP, then ftp still images on motion detection ... even the cheap AvTech 16 channel has this option.

Edited by Guest

unless it is a very large client (Boeing, Government, Savvis, etc..) they most likely will not want to pay for offsite video storage, especially when storing data longterm. There is a company in the northeast US that offers storage. Remote Vault or something like that.

Many companies have attempted to store longterm video and have failed due to high costs and low demand for the service. Well, the demand is there, but the willingness to pay for it is not.

In your particular situation, you could use CenterV2 and have your company store the video in your facility on the CenterV2 Server, however, the liability factor for storing a customers video data may not be worth the headache for the fees that you could justify for offering the service.

CenterV2 works fairly well, especially if you have customers who have multiple sites and wish to use it as a means to eliminate multiple guard tours of facilities. We have a few customers who use it and they were able to justify the expense for a very nice high end security room with video servers since the CenterV2 allowed them to eliminate 4 employees salaries.

scottj[/url]

I'm looking for a solution that I can administer myself. I have a cage in a data-center with plenty of room in it for more servers. I also realize that this is going to be a large amount of data. The server that I am planning to build will have about 4.4 Terabytes of storage available.

Is CenterV2 a free application from Geovision? If not, do you know how much it costs? Do you know roughly how much bandwidth is used by CenterV2 per camera or server monitored?

Thanks for your ideas!

i have answers to all of the above questions (most of them are good one too..haha).

4.4TB goes quickly, especially if you are looking to store for any length of time. centerV2 does come with Geo for free (up to 5 Servers/locations), you have to purchase the full version to gainn capacity up to 800 cameras, pr 50 subscribers at a time. I can provide you a price in private email later.

Ther are many options for equipent in order to do a project of this nature, none of them to be mistakenly considered "cheap" by any means.

When i say small, something like the March Network Wall Mount DVRs, but at much less a cost as they dont need any Firmware features besides sending the alarm triggers, and perhaps an RCA out for the home TV.

I recently received an end user quote on a March Networks 3108 wall mountable. Holy Ding Dong!

I recently received an end user quote on a March Networks 3108 wall mountable. Holy Ding Dong!

i take it that it was not as budget as they claim hey ?

Edited by Guest

Since this be end user pricing, guess I can post it eh. Twas $3790.00 CAD. The 3204 was $2500 CAD and change.

too expensive. I could have that made in China for one sixteenth the price. Although it may not power on....

scottj

Theoretically, using a deep enough enclosure, should be able to build a PC inside a box such as an Ademco Alarm panel, but would need a deeper box like those from some of the home wiring manufacturers ... any ideas or anyone done that before?

Can't we buy our own Linux embedded motherboards and build our own, flash them whatever?

PowerTellecom is supposed to have one coming out soon, but im talking about something that works with a multi site software such as the GEO C2 that scott is talking about.

Im surprised something like this isnt already out there, besides only march networks .. i mean it would work hand in hand with the alarm industry, easy to install, and profit earning for everyone, installer and manufacturer, and CMS. But when you are dealin with $150 alarm systems, gotta keep the cost down ...i mean we have tons of ghetto homes here, that if it was loiw enough, would pay for it, but yah got 20 people living in a small 1 bedroom home, cant spend the march prices.

Edited by Guest

Just as long as the software aint made in Taiwan. Need good ol US or Canadian software eh y'all

Just as long as the software aint made in Taiwan. Need good ol US or Canadian software eh y'all

Need to talk to Scott and Sam Na about that, they are doing the software in the US I can sell you some bahamian software if you really want something not made in taiwan, cant promise it will do any more than show you a still of a palm tree though .. hey its better than a clock or a fake fish tank though right ! Heck I can give you it for free with a rotating video clip of my ceiling fan

My company worked the last year to build a DVR BACKUP by ftp and the project is entering in the market now. We worked on the idea to left a stand alone DVR in the controlled location and to transfer high quality images each 2 seconds approx (depends from DVR channels and internet connection). This system permit to the customer to have his own system and a quality backup. We use standard connection without warranted bandwidth and without hard impact on our customers internet connection. The high numbers of pictures/customers/day (up to 400.000) 24h/24h has been a hard work to find a way to monitor the system by customers. The archived images day number can be personalized, an alarm mail to the customers can be set when the DVR not send images, the stop to auto delete the images is activated when the DVR not send them. We use dedicated server with high performance and we have a competitive price. Actually we use dahua DVR but the system is compatible with all DVR that can send pictures by ftp. Contact us for a collaboration.

I have had a few clients ask about a remote backup solution for DVR video. Clients are worried that if someone breaks into their facility, the whole DVR server may be stolen and/or destroyed. The best solution to that problem would be to have the video data mirrored across the internet to a secure server. For obvious reasons the video mirroring would have to be pretty much live, or at least minutely. Has anyone set something like this up for their clients or know of a solution that would work best? Please share your experiences.

-KJ-

My company worked the last year to build a DVR BACKUP by ftp and the project is entering in the market now. We worked on the idea to left a stand alone DVR in the controlled location and to transfer high quality images each 2 seconds approx (depends from DVR channels and internet connection). This system permit to the customer to have his own system and a quality backup. We use standard connection without warranted bandwidth and without hard impact on our customers internet connection. The high numbers of pictures/customers/day (up to 400.000) 24h/24h has been a hard work to find a way to monitor the system by customers. The archived images day number can be personalized, an alarm mail to the customers can be set when the DVR not send images, the stop to auto delete the images is activated when the DVR not send them. We use dedicated server with high performance and we have a competitive price. Actually we use dahua DVR but the system is compatible with all DVR that can send pictures by ftp. Contact us for a collaboration.

-KJ-

You only need to post your crap once

Why would people want to pay you storage ...... You might just have a server setup in your bedroom and charging people for a service that is not needed