QC444

Wow - Software can make or break your system

Hello,

I bought two different DVR (both low end)

But one came with software that is VERY advanced while the other came with software that is so basic it's almost funny.

It'd be like comparing the Starship Enterprise to a Hot Air Balloon.

I'll just say that the one that I REALLY like and had a LOT of features came with my QC444 Q-See DVR about 2 years ago.

It has so many settings that allow a much richer and deeper configuration compared to the lackluster almost worthless software that came with my NiteOwl 8 channel system. I wish I could use the PSS (Q-See) software with the NiteOwl but alas...it won't recognize it.

Is anyone else familiar with the PSS (Pro Surveillance Systems) software?

Is there other software out there I could buy to use with a low end DVR that is better than what comes with it?

I absolutely HATE the NiteOwl DVR software. The sensitivity is bogus (doesn't really do anything) and it is just too simple to do any meaningful configuration.

Thx

Any of the Dahua based units will work with PSS. Rory at Bahamas security has some really cool apps that work with Dahua as well.

If you are happy with Dahua, why even consider Night Owl (TFT), they are similarly priced.

Any of the Dahua based units will work with PSS. Rory at Bahamas security has some really cool apps that work with Dahua as well.

If you are happy with Dahua, why even consider Night Owl (TFT), they are similarly priced.

Uneducated consumer

How do I know what DVR is Dahua based ?????

yakky, thx for the info. Good stuff mang !

Do you know if the Linux PSS has all the same functionality as the Windows PSS version?

Windows, Linux and MAC PSS have the same functionality (they're the Windows version, running in an emulator, but very optimized)

Ahhhhhh. Interesting. Thx.

I thought Microsoft was revoking everyone's rights to use Windows emulators or something like that?

yakky, thx for the info. Good stuff mang !

Do you know if the Linux PSS has all the same functionality as the Windows PSS version?

That's tricky, comparing the on screen images is an ok way if the vendor has them. Otherwise you can ask or just go with a vendor that is advertises the fact.

Linux PSS is just regular PSS wrapped in a Wine (windows emulator) package.

It'd be like comparing the Starship Enterprise to a Hot Air Balloon.

hahahahah i love that! i think i'll borrow it

the fact is, the user interface is something that's very often overlooked when people compare dvrs, especially low-cost dvrs. comparing specs-on-paper will only tell you so much about how the dvr functions... it tells you nothing about what it's like to actually use. many people don't think it matters... until they run into something with a really hideous, complex, frustrating user experience, like you did with nightowl.

unfortunately, because they don't think it matters, it's hard to explain the differences that you've learned the hard way. if they can get the nightowl for $20 less than the q-see (assuming all other specs are equal), most will go with the cheaper one regardless of how much you tell them the interface sucks.

I wish I could use the PSS (Q-See) software with the NiteOwl but alas...it won't recognize it.

Is anyone else familiar with the PSS (Pro Surveillance Systems) software?

you answered your own question: dahua-made units come with the pss software.