Sign in to follow this  
jasauders

NVR for network cameras?

I'm looking around for different ideas regarding an NVR to utilize with network based cameras. These cameras are POE cameras running on CAT 6. I have POE injectors on the line to turn the cameras on which simply return more CAT 6 wires to the switches for data, but like I said, they're RJ45 at the end. Most of the NVR's I've looked at only had one RJ45 installed as an uplink for the network, with the cameras hooking up through what appears to be an analog port. I have no idea, just getting in to CCTV and since I'm an IT guy IP cameras feel at home with me. Are there any that you folks would recommend for this instance? H264 is preferred, and hard drive size/preinstall doesn't matter as I have a 3.5" 1TB HDD here I could use. I'm open to all ideas, preferably priced on the lower end (can this be done for 100? 200? 500? I have no idea what to even aim for). I see these lower end setups including 8 cameras for a few hundred bucks. I know the cameras aren't top quality but I can't help but to think, maybe a half decent NVR with no HDD would go for that? I just have no idea what to aim for, so any/all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT - Now that I found one or two NVR's with ethernet ports, it looks like their prices are shooting up in the thousands. Youch, no thanks. Is all hope lost?

EDIT II - I was doing some looking around and came across the Dahua NVR 3204. This looks perfect for what I'm after. The ony disappointing thing is a review I read said while it works with other cameras that in their case (axis camera) it didn't work that well. I'm using Vivotek cameras. I wonder how this would work?

Well, I was gung ho about the Dahua unit, but it seems as if it's had some issues with some non-Dahua devices. Makes me wonder what NVR's out there I could possibly utilize that aren't Vivotek branded to hook up to my cameras. Vivotek's cheapest system is 800 something dollars for a 4 channel. Yeah, no. I know NVR's are typically pretty pricey but I'd stick with my MJPG solution that's currently working on my Linux server before I drop that kind of cash.

Are there any other NVR's out there that are comparable to the Dahua in price and features, but perhaps there's another brand out there with better compatibility? Or perhaps somebody knows of a software package for Linux besides Zoneminder and Motion that I could look into?

EDIT - Not giving up yet... That Dahua is still on the radar and is Onvif 2.0 compliant. I've contacted Vivotek to see what they've had to say on the subject in terms of Onvif support with their cameras. Has anybody out there by chance tried to mix/match Dahua with Vivotek? So far the only reported inconsistency I heard of was with Dahua NVR's and Axis cameras. Another user I read about is using ACTi cameras with seemingly no issue. But, of course, it still leaves the question in the air for Vivotek. Any takers?

Most of the NVR's I've looked at only had one RJ45 installed as an uplink for the network,

that's all an nvr needs. that's what the 'n' in the name stands for - *network* video recorder. by definition, an nvr plugs into the network, receives the camera video streams over the network, and records them to disk.

with the cameras hooking up through what appears to be an analog port.

that's not an nvr then; it's a dvr, or possibly hybrid dvr (records both analog and network cameras).