I have this Win7 micro tower with a 2.8Ghz low wattage Sempron 145, 2gb of ram, 220w power supply but no disk drive or hard drive either. If I get a SATA hard drive I think this might make a perfect compact multi-channel DVR, very versatile and expandable (USB only). I would have control over bitrate's and such it's just the only PCI banks are slim-line (one express x16 & x1)

208523_1.png

If I started with two or three of these would they work for my purpose? My only active cameras right now are D1 and I only have two (HQ) but if I expand I could get an HD USB interface to add channels; HD cams?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100112

This entire DVR can also serve as a file server in my home since it will be online 24/7 within my network, I can drop the disc drive for another hard drive in that bay...then add a vent fan or two to the exterior of the case. I would disable the GPU to save power and access it via RDC.

That tower has come and gone but the idea is still alive.

Has anyone ever tried either of these two cheap usb DVR's by any chance? The first one is only $10 but claims 4ch recording @ 30fps 720x480 MPEG4 but everyone claims to have problems on 64-bit Windows between the software and drivers, and only having 1 channel working correctly.

239417_1.jpg

The second is $40 and says 30fps 720x480 PER CHANNEL so that is a guarantee it is full D1 x4 I am unsure about the other. It also says H.264 so it states things the other does not as well as it supports Win7 x64 (I plan to use it on Windows 8 x64)

239417_2.jpg

I'm curious if I can use multiple of these with a USB hub (either one of the devices). I plan to use a 3rd party software for monitoring and capture anyway, possibly BlueIris I have a copy of V3.03

From my point of view, trying to set up anything serious with USB recording is crap. But hey, the USB recording devices are cheap, feel free to give them a try... I have tried a few over the years, and they have all been toys. Bad quality, and even worse software.

From my point of view, trying to set up anything serious with USB recording is crap. But hey, the USB recording devices are cheap, feel free to give them a try... I have tried a few over the years, and they have all been toys. Bad quality, and even worse software.

I am shopping by specs, the fundamental hardware is here I plan to use aftermarket software obviously. I have BlueIris I am going to give one of these USB devices a shot, some of the highest quality VHS rips are through a DV bridge over a usb connection. Not even going to try the first one I am going to skip right over to that last $40 unit.