Sign in to follow this  
bobw462

Bundled DVR Software Glitch - "IP Reg. Failed"

Hello. I trust that some of the gracious experts here may be able to help me resolve an ongoing and very annoying issue I am experiencing with my Vistapro4 DVR software...

Although I have been using the Vistapro software for a few years (with much success and very few problems), I now sometimes find that the software can not register itself by resolving my public IP with the internal IP (static DHCP) of the DVR computer; hence, I end up with an "IP Reg. Failed" message. This, of course, results in a complete loss of remote connectivity, which ultimately leads to much frustration for me!

The issue never seems to impact anything on my home network side of things, as all camera and software functions will remain fully operational even without successful IP registration. But, remote access is, of course, remains non-functional without IP registration.

I have tried making various adjustments that include: using a completely different DHCP assigned static IP (outside of the regular DHCP range), using a completely manually assigned static IP, changing the video port(s) and associated forwarding table at the router; and, I even tried using an alternate software registration/identification "key"... But, none of this provided any resolution.

Interestingly, the problem will periodically seem to resolve itself!!! That is....after several days of continuous "IP Reg Failed" messages at every server re-start, I will suddenly walk in to find an "IP Registered" message in my status window, and remote access will be restored.

Please accept my sincere thanks (in advance!) for any help you can offer me!

System Info: Windows XP Pro, 4 port clone PCI DVR card, VistaPro4 DVR software, with a wireless connection to a Linksys WRTG54G running Tomato 1.28.

Well... Thanks to all who have at least taken a look at my issue. Unfortunately, I still have not been able to get the Vistapro4 server to properly register my local IP to enable remote access.

However, after checking and rechecking for correctly opened ports... and everything else I could think of... I eventually discovered that a solid remote connection can be achieved by setting up the client to use my public IP address... instead of connecting via the Product ID number.

As it turns out, VistaPro will accept either an IP address, or the server software Product ID, when setting up the client for a remote connection (but the Product ID is always the recommend setup option whenever the server is located behind a dynamic IP address!).

So, in this case, I found success by simply entering my currently assigned dynamic IP in the "IP/Product Number" box of the client's "Add Connection" applet.

With this simple adjustment in place, I am again able to connect remotely with full functionality!

Of course, I do realize that this "workaround" has not truly resolved my primary issue ("Ip Reg. Failed"), and I am still very interested in solving the underlying issue once and for all...

...But, perhaps at least my interim solution will be useful to someone else who comes to the CCTV Forum searching for help with a similar issue.