Sign in to follow this  
reddyu

Need advice implementing a PTZ cam for web-interface

Hi guys,

So my boss wants me to figure out how to implement a PTZ CCTV camera that we already have into our website so visitors can control the PTZ functions and view the video. The camera will be mounted to a pole on our roof (about 100-150ft away cable wise).

I am just not familiar with the video side of things (I am fairly confident that I can get the web side of things operational).

The camera that we have is the Zmodo CM-z2213GY. Basically, a standard 2-pin RS485 based PTC camera.

http://kb.zmodo.com/category.php?id=46

We have several production virtual machines I can use, but I dont know if that is the best option for reliability (cant restart the VM Servers all the time). I can easily wrangle up a basic use computer (probably early core2duo with basic specs) if that is going to be the best option. VM would be the most ideal if it will be fairly reliable.

I originally wanted to avoid standalone DVR's but if that is also a good and reliable option it is definitely feasible.

Thus far, my plan is to mount the camera, run all the cabling inside, and somehow push video (.FLV preferred) to our website.

I am pretty confident that FFmpeg is robust enough to output/stream to .FLV but I just have no clue how to get this project really off the ground.

Im also unsure of how to get the PTZ functions working through the web.

Preexisting open-source software would be the most ideal solution if its an option! Linux, OS X, Windows - all are fine and available to me.