Sign in to follow this  
cokewithvanilla

Trying to set up cameras with OCR... need suggestions (DIY)

Hello there!

I am new to all this, but have a decent grasp of technology. I need to set up a gate system with 3+ cameras that will be able to identify characters. One camera will need to identify the license plate, another the drivers face, and a final one to identify a container number. I will probably have 4-5 cameras, as the container number is on 5 sides of the box. This way, if there is some peeling, the container can still be identified.

My goal is to have a gate that will stop traffic. The cameras will take photos. This will feed information into a database (access???) and there will be a terminal at the gate. The information will be updated into the terminal in real time. The driver will have to enter his name and company, after this information is entered, the gate will open. Of course, it will request a container number from the driver if the cameras are unable to provide an accurate result.

I know this system can be done and is in place at big rail yards like Norfolk Southern. I am a DIY guy and would like to do something like that on a smaller scale. I can do most everything (build access database/front end, server, iinstall cameras, set up network), but I have two issues:

I do not know anything about cameras and OCR software, and I do not know how to link an access database to something that will open a gate. I hope ya'll can help me with the camera portion. I wanna go cheap and effective, but I want to it be a rock solid build.

edit: these cameras will have to be just as effective at night as in the day, if I need lights, that can be done. In the end, I will probably also need 15 regular night and day cameras hooked up to the system.