Sign in to follow this  
Jase

New, and I have a couple of questions.

Hello, I am an as needed family friend/PC technician for multiple convenience stores around my local area. It's just so happenstance that one of these locations has a PC-DVR setup, and I'm not sure which card it is off the top of my head, but I had it written down and my daughter misplaced it while "helping" me with work.

My couple of questions are as follows:

My client would like to add another card, which is supported by the main card through add-on cards. Obviously this would require more cables. I am not familiar with security stuff that much, just general electronics maintenance, so I am not aware of what RG Coax cable connectors are typically used in these types of systems. Is there a typical standard? I am going to return and determine the type soon, but thought I might be able to grep some information from you fine folks as to if there is a standard, and might possibly arrive to the client with the information needed for ordering more cables. It has several different cameras, though most seem to be CTN*COM. Again just curious if there's a standard that is probably in use, and can easily just be ordered, or if it truly depends on the on-board DVR card.

My second issue is, that the DVR software in use is MX Station, and I cannot seem to find much, if any information on it. My curiousity is that there are obviously .conf files for the software, but I cannot seem to locate the config file that may contain the password? or locate the option of how to change it. This system was put together by one of those DIY-dudes who happened to halfass it a bit, and set the administrator password as 0.

My client has expressed fear that his employees may be disabling the software for a set time, and doing things they should not, and it is slightly evidenced as I have seen in the log files, that someone has been shutting it off for fifteen minutes at a time.

Thank you in advance for your responses, and if I have posted in the wrong area, I apologize, but I am new, and would like some assistance in helping my client out without upgrading him to something newer, such as one of those AIO solutions they sell at those consumer whole sale stores, as he is not looking to make an investment, however merely some modifications.