thehandyman

Trying to design a system for a horse ranch and home

Hello,

I have a client who has a sizable horse ranch. She has a large home, a garage, a separate garage, a sizable guest house, a barn, and arena.

She is concerned about her ex doing "something" and has asked me to find her a security camera system.

She has given me a budget of $1,500.

I have some ideas, but it has been a while since I have been in the security camera arena.

I haven't ever used an IP based camera system.

I guess the issue is with the barn, which is detached and about 200 feet from the house. The systems I am looking at all all wired. What type of transmitters are available to transmit from the barn to the house? Would an IP system with, say, a wireless PoE type router be better for bringing the cameras in the barn and arena to the house?

I see these little transmitters that connect to the BNC connector on the camera, but I read they have a very limited range. Like ten feet. I need twenty times that...

So... The more I research systems, the more I realize she needs a DVR with at least 12 channels. Right now she wants a minimum of 10 cameras around her property. A 16 channel DVR with web broadcasting so she can view her system on her Iphone, is pretty expensive and does not leave a lot of money left for 10 high definition type cameras.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you're not familiar with IP, this might be a much more time consuming installation for you than the alternative.

Your other HD options right now are HDTVI, HDCVI, and maybe AHD. I would look into HDCVI and HDTVI if you wanted to make life a little easier for yourself (and cheaper).

I would stay away from wireless if you can. If you can trench and run 200 feet of conduit, that would be much better; otherwise, depending on your camera placement, you may be backing yourself into a corner.

You're also going to want to consider the lengths of all of your cable runs if this a bigger piece of property to be covered. Make sure that you can run cable as far as you need to with whatever camera type you decide on or if this is going to be a deciding factor.

If you're not familiar with IP, this might be a much more time consuming installation for you than the alternative.

Your other HD options right now are HDTVI, HDCVI, and maybe AHD. I would look into HDCVI and HDTVI if you wanted to make life a little easier for yourself (and cheaper).

I would stay away from wireless if you can. If you can trench and run 200 feet of conduit, that would be much better; otherwise, depending on your camera placement, you may be backing yourself into a corner.

You're also going to want to consider the lengths of all of your cable runs if this a bigger piece of property to be covered. Make sure that you can run cable as far as you need to with whatever camera type you decide on or if this is going to be a deciding factor.

Good advice, thank you!

I am actually pretty technologically oriented so maybe an IP type system wouldn't be out of the prospect?

I think you are right about the trenching and conduit. Thank you for that suggestion. There is a trenchable area between the house and the barn.

Hey

do you still need help ?

You asked about a wireless POE ? I am not sure what you mean, you surely cannot power up and cam via wireless 200feet are ok if you can run a good CAT6 cable to bring power and data (via POE switch). Or you can avoid POE and use the local barn power line (if any).

Since this sounds an open space, one option could be to use a nice PTZ on top of a pole which would overlook the entire area. Catching her ex coming into the area might be enough as a warning than trying to catch him doing precisely something in the house/barn etc. Isn't it ?

THX