Sign in to follow this  
xrblazer29

Can anybody identify this card?

Yep, that's a "howell tempest vc878b-q". It's one of the few capture cards that I've seen a manufacture put their name to.

I don't know about Windows, although there should be something that works with it, such as Blue Iris.

I've mostly played with Ubuntu, and this card is supported by Zoneminder: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Howell-Tempest_VC_878B-Q

Note the warning: "Because each 878a chip is being used to drive 4 inputs, the maximum FPS per input is lower than if there was a 878a chip for each input." This means that it will support one camera per BT878 chip at 25 frames per second, 2 cameras at 7fps, 4 at 1fps

yeah i messed around in ubuntu with this card and it worked but was glitchy and the email alerts i got working in a test but when motion detect caught something it didnt email it . Thats why im wanting to try windows. oh well thanks for the reply Horizon.

Yep, that's a "howell tempest vc878b-q". It's one of the few capture cards that I've seen a manufacture put their name to.

I don't know about Windows, although there should be something that works with it, such as Blue Iris.

I've mostly played with Ubuntu, and this card is supported by Zoneminder: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Howell-Tempest_VC_878B-Q

Note the warning: "Because each 878a chip is being used to drive 4 inputs, the maximum FPS per input is lower than if there was a 878a chip for each input." This means that it will support one camera per BT878 chip at 25 frames per second, 2 cameras at 7fps, 4 at 1fps

sorry about the double post this is my first time posting on here. Windows drivers are hard to find for this card. ill just keep looking. thanks again Horizon

xrblazer29, you're probably after a generic driver for a 16 channel capture card. The part you need drivers for are the BT878 capture chips.

The PLX chip is a PCI to PCI bridge - Windows should take care of it automatically. Yeah, the '878 is an old chip now, and it's getting harder and harder to find a reliable computer with PCI slots to suit it.