larrymilla

PC Base NVR PC For 74 2MP Cameras - Need Advice

Hi Folks

I'm embarking on a project for a mega supermarket that we'll employ 74 2megapixel cameras from a Chinese manufacturer and we'll be using Luxriot VMS.

Please note that we have done a similar project before with great result but with only 24 cameras connected to Luxriot VMS via Onvif/Rtsp, where I used core i7 8g with a gigabyte board.

Now, which high end PC do you think can drive this cameras without any hiccups?

I am presently considering ASRock 2U12L6SC-2TS6 2U Rackmount Server Barebone Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 DDR3 1600/1333/1066 found at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816135001&cm_re=xeon_e5_4600-_-16-135-001-_-Product

I also plan to use seagate NAS storage drive STBP16000200 for recording.

Also, I plan to use 4 24 ports TPLink Gigabyte Switches to segment the network for efective throughput (Actually, I've not done it like this before).

Please, your contribution is highly welcome.

Well CPU and RAM is not an issue here, in any case the one mentioned is well suitable for it.

What you do need to consider here and what many people missing when encounter large installations - writing speed of storage.

For this many cameras you must use at least RAID6 , I understand the one you have link for - doesn't have it at all. Also noticed since you planned to use 2U server, you didn't calculated total storage yet, that you will require for 72 Full HD cameras to be recorded for X many days.

You can use Luxriot's online calculator to check amount of storage you will require in respect of specific's of your installation: http://www.luxriot.com/eng/support/calculators/

Thank you AlexJ,

We plan to use 16Tb of disk storage which we think could give us at least 30days of recordings comewhatmay. Can you pls recommend a Raid drive bay for us? Then do you think we have a perfect design in place?

Thanks once again!

Each camera would generate at least 8 Megabits Per Second. Considering buffering delay, it could count as 20 Megabits per second for each camera. There would be bottlenecks for network link and switches, HDD read write for dealing 74 cameras. How many PCs to be employed for play back spot monitoring?

Each camera would generate at least 8 Megabits Per Second. Considering buffering delay, it could count as 20 Megabits per second for each camera. There would be bottlenecks for network link and switches, HDD read write for dealing 74 cameras. How many PCs to be employed for play back spot monitoring?

Thanks SunnyKim, what is your proposed solution to these probable problems?

Thank you AlexJ,

We plan to use 16Tb of disk storage which we think could give us at least 30days of recordings comewhatmay. Can you pls recommend a Raid drive bay for us? Then do you think we have a perfect design in place?

Thanks once again!

Well few more moment please! Will it be constant or Motion Triggered recording? If motion - what frequency you expect? 50-60% ?

I presume frame rate will be 25 FPS ?

How many PCs to be employed for play back spot monitoring?
I presume to answer this question we should rely on factor - what stream and it's spec's that will be used for live viewing on large layout.

One thing using main stream for live viewing or viewing on sub stream when using larger layout, that Luxriot allows.

For instance if to use live view using sub stream with D1 resolution, 2 client PC's will be enough ( i7 CPU ) . Again this is to monitor all 74 cameras together.

Each camera would generate at least 8 Megabits Per Second. Considering buffering delay, it could count as 20 Megabits per second for each camera.
I wouldn't say 8Mbps, it will be 4.5 with modern camera for Full HD. We did same mistake until start of 2013 our selves.

On constant recording your server will require 333 Mbps, just to record archive, the rest depends on live view requirements.

Well few more moment please! Will it be constant or Motion Triggered recording? If motion - what frequency you expect? 50-60% ?

I presume frame rate will be 25 FPS ?

AlexJ,

We usually use Luxriot VMS Motion Detection recording and at about that 50%/60% freq, we usually transmitt @25fps.

Sincerely, I realy don't understand the network traffic palava, I hope you guys will help me out.

Tentatively, me and my team have just come with design we think could work effectively.

Kindly take a look at the attache image and criticise it for any further fine-tunning.

I quite appreciate your posts so far.

thank you all!

573616486_EbeanoSupermarket.thumb.jpg.050e044d8455881ab213a89064732ba0.jpg

Please we are still waiting for your contributions on this projects.

Thanks.

You will require around 73 TB RAID 5/6 storage space, since you plan to record 74 FullHD Cameras for 30 Days. And yes, it's on MD of 50-60%

By the way - you can do all the calculations using Luxriot's web site and Luxriot's Online calculator to see most optimal hardware requirements: http://www.luxriot.com/eng/support/calculators/

( Don't forget to hit "estimate" when you select frame rate and resolution)

Hi . Reading this post it looks like a lot of mistakes.

First why look at motion detect ?..

Use more switches.

Also need distance of cameras

Hi . Reading this post it looks like a lot of mistakes.

First why look at motion detect ?..

Use more switches.

Also need distance of cameras

@Tomcctv

Pls what are the mistakes you have noticed?

We believe motion detection will conserve disk space on the long run

How will more switches make the design work better?

Can you pls air your view on the proposed design?

Please we are still waiting for your contributions on this projects.

Thanks.

You will require around 73 TB RAID 5/6 storage space, since you plan to record 74 FullHD Cameras for 30 Days. And yes, it's on MD of 50-60%

By the way - you can do all the calculations using Luxriot's web site and Luxriot's Online calculator to see most optimal hardware requirements: http://www.luxriot.com/eng/support/calculators/

( Don't forget to hit "estimate" when you select frame rate and resolution)

@AlexJ

We can always alter the recording resolutions in case we need to.

Thanks alll

Hi. From what I read ....... Your install is a supermarket .

So motion in that application will be classed constant record ( at least in open hours) so you need to calculate as no motion.

As far as switch ...... You have one area 24 cameras on one switch ..........that is a lot of cameras to go down if that switch has a problem.

So motion in that application will be classed constant record ( at least in open hours) so you need to calculate as no motion.

As far as switch ...... You have one area 24 cameras on one switch ..........that is a lot of cameras to go down if that switch has a problem.

Thanks Tom, that's noted.

Any other mistakes in this design?

Still waiting for more contributions from others.

Thanks all!

/quote]

I would disagree! Actually if you calculate 60-70 % frequency *( when calculating MD) - you will get right figure in respect of the task. As there will be motion for that amount of time and no recording for 30-40% of the time and it is a big chunk of storage.

@AlexJ

We can always alter the recording resolutions in case we need to.

Thanks alll

No comments on design as very low on details.

/quote]

I would disagree! Actually if you calculate 60-70 % frequency *( when calculating MD) - you will get right figure in respect of the task. As there will be motion for that amount of time and no recording for 30-40% of the time and it is a big chunk of storage.

Yes that would be ok but only if he puts a sign up ONE CUSTOMER in this area at any one time.

Supermarkets tend to have people in camera few most of day. So no point calculating storage as motion

Yes that would be ok but only if he puts a sign up ONE CUSTOMER in this area at any one time.

Supermarkets tend to have people in camera few most of day. So no point calculating storage as motion

You got me very confused.

Motion frequency being calculated in respect - what amount of the time there will be motion on camera during 24 hours period. Obviously during time shop is closed - there will be no motion on camera. So let's say it's 30-40% out of all time ( in respect while people finish cleaning up or preparing for opening. So we do presume there will be no motion there.

Same works for full spec's when doing calculation for server. Basically we presume that 60-70% of 24 hour period all cameras will be recording, other time we can save on storage.