Sign in to follow this  
marktcom

What basic card?

Hi,

First post, looking for a bit of advice.

I need to monitor an area causing an issue for me, I've tried a Coomatec DVR 'All in One' type solution. With it's on-board MicroSD card, as I wanted a temp solution, but I need something a bit more reliable. The Coomatec randomly stops recording after a couple of days, even though it should loop record.

I've got an old Windows XP SP3 machine kicking around, which I can use, it's an old IBM from an office that was closed down. I'm planning to put a PCI card in, with a cable run camera near a window.

I'm looking for a simple card, it only needs to support one camera via cable. I may look at adding a second WiFi Camera, but I'm assuming that would be the software capturing that?

I've looked on eBay and other sites such as camsecure, which has 'basic' ones at around £35.

I don't really want to spend too much, as I should not really have to monitor this area but I do.

I've seen ones on eBay for sub £10, are they suitable? Or is it worth going to someware like camsecure? EG: Connexant 878a ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the response. Not actually got that yet, thinking SUNLUXY® 1/3" HAD CCD Waterproof Weatherproof IR Bullet.

From Amazon.

Happy to take suggestions. Needs to support night vision

Thanks for the response. Not actually got that yet, thinking SUNLUXY® 1/3" HAD CCD Waterproof Weatherproof IR Bullet.

From Amazon.

Happy to take suggestions. Needs to support night vision

Well that camera will not record in HD which is something you mentioned in your other post...

Nightvision will not work though a window - the ir will bounce off...

You are much better off saving you money and buying an HD IP camera that has an SD card slot...you will get MUCH better image quality, it will be more reliable than an old pc, MUCH more power efficient than running and old pc, and the motion detection will be better if you get something like hikvision that has line cross detection... and you can power it and transmit data over a single ethernet cable (if it support poe, which most decent ip cameras do)..

Thanks again. Sorry should have added camera will be outside. Current Coomatec one is clamped to window ledge.

Can you recommend a outside IP camera?

Thanks again. Sorry should have added camera will be outside. Current Coomatec one is clamped to window ledge.

Can you recommend a outside IP camera?

best bang for your buck with sd card slot will be the 2132F..you must make sure it has the F in the model, that provides for the sd card slot and 3 axis rotation of the lens...

Just been looking at IP cams rather than CCTV, thanks for heads up. This on amazon looks good:

Foscam FI8904W External Wireless IP Camera with 20m Night Vision and Remote Viewing

Just been looking at IP cams rather than CCTV, thanks for heads up. This on amazon looks good:

Foscam FI8904W External Wireless IP Camera with 20m Night Vision and Remote Viewing

Foscam is a low end junk company...

That camera is low image quality vga

Has crappy motion detection...

That camera has no sd card so you will need a pc or nas to record to...

It also has a narrower field of view than say a 4mm hikvision...

The camera is not poe-you will have to run an additional line for power.

Get a decent camera and record to sd card..dont be pennywise and pound foolish.

Go to youtube and look up some image from hikvision 3mp cameras..then look at vga footage...its a no brainer.

In the UK- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2CD2132F-IS-Waterproof-Security-Network/dp/B00UT6WMEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428787133&sr=8-1&keywords=DS-2CD2132f

You can also order from china this is a reliable seller

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/FREE-shipping-Hikvision-DS-2CD2132-I-3MP-Outdoor-Network-Mini-Dome-Camera-30M-IR-Digital-HD/638300_1397050451.html

I can see you are not a fan of Foscam

I've looked on youTube and it does look impressive, also significantly cheaper from that China source.

One question, can you set it to record to a cloud source as well? Eg Google Drive?