Sign in to follow this  
PixelBoy1986

Advice on a new decent 16 channel DVR card please?

Hey all!

I've been browsing the forums trying to assist a friend of mine with their store's security camera system and thought I would be better off asking for help.

Basically, he bought a newsagent recently with 16 cameras in and around the store, hooked up to a dedicated Windows 7 PC via what seems to be a cheap DVR card using its own rubbish software. They had a power cut recently so we had to reset the BIOS, well now the DVR server software keeps crashing and there's no online support anywhere for the card.

The card is recognised as a DVR8000 card. I tried a few other open source programs to work with the card but they won't pick it up.

Well anyway, we are now looking for a replacement 16 channel card along with some better software. It's only needed to show the cameras live and refer back if needed, and we aren't looking to spend a fortune or install a full new system. Another thing we would like to add is a microphone near the tills to record audio but that can come later.

I'd be really grateful for any advice? Thanks in advance!

I am curious why you haven't considered a standalone system? They all come with networkability and so can be viewed via client softwares most of which are very stable and useable. The advantage is that the client softwares can be uninstalle and re installed at any time and if the unit has a decent web interface the system doesn't even need a client application. all it require is a browser, (usually Internet Explorer) on any PC on your network or the internet even.

So why an expansion card , is it because thats what you've experience of?

Hi there thanks for the reply!

I'll be honest, I am looking for a new DVR card as after doing some research and tinkering it seems that this is where the problem lies, that's as far as I know. I don't know a lot about security systems but all I know is that we have a store with 16 cameras (that only record video), with the wiring leading upstairs into 2 VGA's in the DVR card, then there's a VGA coming out of the graphics card which goes into a video splitter box, the splitter box then goes back down to 3 TV's downstairs. Of course there's another VGA coming form the computer's onboard graphics going into the computer monitor too.

At the moment, after the power cut, the awful DVR software either crashes (no longer have the installation discs or anything) on launch with the DVR card in, or no image shows at all. This system was already in place when the shop was purchased.

We would just like to get a basic but decent system working, and its quite urgent now too. Thank you in advance for your help!

Where are you?

I'm in Swansea

Hi do you remember the name of card or name on screen when it was working

Your card might just need a reset

Where are you?

I'm in Swansea

Hi do you remember the name of card or name on screen when it was working

Your card might just need a reset

Hi it was coming up as DVR8000, no brand names or anything.

How would I reset the card?

We are desperate at the moment, and I'm unsure I'm doing the right thing but we are going to go for a 16 ch GeoVision DVR card as the manufacturer seems well known and reliable. Hopefully everything works well.