Sign in to follow this  
theTastyCat

Hik cams only using 16 GB of 2 TB drive! Do I need an NAS?

Hey all - I plead complete and thorough ignorance here. I've built myself a dedicated PCNVR with an extra 2 TB HDD just for the video files. I'm using GeniusVision as my software; the cams record on motion just fine, but I'm not even getting one day of footage. It refuses to use more than just the tiniest sliver of space on this 2 TB drive.

I've researched this as much as I possibly can, and it keeps coming back to something about disk quotas. Do I need an NAS? Not even entirely sure what that is! Is that a way to manage the drive perhaps?

GeniusVision does recognize my H drive as having 1862 usable GB, so I don't think that's the problem, and neither did their tech support. When I log in to the Hikvision cams under "storage management", there is *no* drive recognized under "HDD Device List." Maybe it will only recognize a drive once I've made it somehow legit with an NAS?

Many, many thanks, guys! This project is almost done...but my last of expertise has caught up with me! Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey all - I plead complete and thorough ignorance here. I've built myself a dedicated PCNVR with an extra 2 TB HDD just for the video files. I'm using GeniusVision as my software; the cams record on motion just fine, but I'm not even getting one day of footage. It refuses to use more than just the tiniest sliver of space on this 2 TB drive.

I've researched this as much as I possibly can, and it keeps coming back to something about disk quotas. Do I need an NAS? Not even entirely sure what that is! Is that a way to manage the drive perhaps?

GeniusVision does recognize my H drive as having 1862 usable GB, so I don't think that's the problem, and neither did their tech support. When I log in to the Hikvision cams under "storage management", there is *no* drive recognized under "HDD Device List." Maybe it will only recognize a drive once I've made it somehow legit with an NAS?

Many, many thanks, guys! This project is almost done...but my last of expertise has caught up with me! Thanks in advance for your help.

I dont use genious vision, but this issue is a setting in the software and has nothing to do with the storage setup in the camera itself, you can ignore the camera storage settings..

Gotcha - thank you! Too bad...I really did like how GV was laid out and it used very little of the CPU. I've tried getting help from their "tech support" several times, but all they could do for me was confirm that I had the right settings like the "config storage" window. I also reinstalled to no avail. Any other recommendations for good, free, non-resource-hog PCNVR software?

Thanks again!

Gotcha - thank you! Too bad...I really did like how GV was laid out and it used very little of the CPU. I've tried getting help from their "tech support" several times, but all they could do for me was confirm that I had the right settings like the "config storage" window. I also reinstalled to no avail. Any other recommendations for good, free, non-resource-hog PCNVR software?

Thanks again!

Why are you giving up on it so easily...there has got to be a setting with respect to the storage space used...

You can also use hikvisions free ivms..will only work with hikvision cameras

Man, I would be delighted to make this work; I attached my config storage screen. Sorry - I tried to upload it to Photobucket but it's being ridiculous!

I *did* check "enable quota management" on my dedicated HDD; that's the only thing I can think to do that I haven't already. So perhaps it will work!

Doesn't seem to make any sense - it's got this huge HDD to fill, and it just overwrites this tiny part over and over. These settings sure look good to me...man, so frustrating!

Thanks again for the help!

GV1.thumb.JPG.5552e27b4366b444f645c54688b9d174.JPG

As Boogieman said, that has nothing to do with your cameras, but with the program you are using.

Just an idea (I have not even heard before of GeniusVision); maybe that is a limitation on the demo/free/trial version of the software? There are "Online version failed" errors on your log. Is it possible that the program can not verify online that it is registered, and is running with limitations?

Not a bad guess. Actually, I've been through this with their tech support people and they claimed it was something wrong with my brandy-new 2 TB HDD. Interestingly enough,I believe I had a similar issue with the Hivision vms software - maybe I'll reinstall it and see what happens.