I am planning a DIY system with about 6-8 cameras for our residence. I am convinced the core is the software, and have been doing trials on lots of software - Blue Iris, Zoneminder, Sighthound, AxxonNext and Xeoma. Probably some others I have forgotten as they all start to run together.

Anyway.... I'm down to short list so far of Blue Iris, Zoneminder and Xeoma. I can find lots of information on the first two, both will do what I want I think. Comes down to easy and polished vs deeper and I can customize it.

Then there's Xeoma. It's really different, and I like it mostly. The visual workflow design is very cool, and more beyond how you put it together, the ability to assemble all those modules is very cool. For example, I can have a camera doing motion detection, have two different frame captures (for stills) at different rates, one hanging off of motion and one not. I can do that with Blue Iris also, but only because they built it in as separate options. Here I could extend that - have the workflow design include schedules, HTTP connection status, etc. so having some arbitrarily complex decisions (probably some limit but haven't hit it).

The problem is that it seems flaky. Mostly on minor stuff -- email triggers and time zone handling are my two latest issues. Not show stoppers but makes me worry.

So... has anyone been using it for a while? Is it solid? Does it run reliably over the longer haul?