5aq1b

New Zoneminder Build - Looking for Advice

Hi there - I'm just after a bit of advice. I'm looking to build a Zoneminder setup for our family business, which already has CCTV in place. The DVR however is on it's way out so that's the reason I'm looking to build. I work in IT, and have a few spare Dell Optiplex's lying around. I have the following:

Dell Optiplex 680

Dell Optiplex 755

Dell Optiplex 960

They're all small form factor too. I also have a beefier Dell T3500 Workstation.

In the premises, the CCTV cams are already in place. They're not IP based. Cable runs already present to the existing DVR box. My question is, is it possible for me to just replace that DVR with a new Zoneminder build using one of the Optiplex's? What spec should I be looking at? And silly question, but because they're not IP based, I assume I need a capture card?

Any help would be much appreciated.

These days, DVR capture cards for analog cameras are very cheap and providing their own software for recording & preview & playback. Why going for Zoneminder, whoever?. Some of Dell boards may cause troubles with PCI cards. you may go for PCI Express, in stead.

How many cameras?

Consider investing in some HD cameras....its 2015...

I know man. I'm seriously considering it. By HD, I take it you include IP in that as well?

There are 12 cameras.

How many cameras?

I know man. I'm seriously considering it. By HD, I take it you include IP in that as well?

There are 12 cameras.

Yes. If you can afford it go IP...otherwise there are some cheaper hd over coax options...

Here is a good system (made by dahua)..you may not even need 12 cams as these will cover a wider are and produce better images than your current setup...

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html

How many cameras?

There are 12 cameras.

Yes. If you can afford it go IP...otherwise there are some cheaper hd over coax options...

Here is a good system (made by dahua)..you may not even need 12 cams as these will cover a wider are and produce better images than your current setup...

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-8-4MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100213199.html

thanks, that looks good however I was looking to build a PC based system...?

so build a pc based system...use ip cameras...forget about zoneminder...buy dahua or hikvsion cameras and use their respective free VMS....if you plan on using those old pc's you listed make sure to check the power consumption as the old units tend to be high...if you are just doing basic recording, just use an NVR.

so build a pc based system...use ip cameras...forget about zoneminder...buy dahua or hikvsion cameras and use their respective free VMS....if you plan on using those old pc's you listed make sure to check the power consumption as the old units tend to be high...if you are just doing basic recording, just use an NVR.

thanks , the cams sure are expensive here in the UK!