Tnek

Minimum requirements for a PC to function as a NVR

After stepping into the deep end here so to speak Im trying to get a crash course in how to use my PC for a NVR.

My Dell with its i5 processor seems to not be up to the job depending on what I read.

So from the experts here if you were going to use a PC for up to 4 3meg cameras and wanted to store/loop a weeks worth of each camera onto a external hard drive what would you buy? Keeping in mind this is for home use.

It seems I would need to add a DVR card maybe as well.

After stepping into the deep end here so to speak Im trying to get a crash course in how to use my PC for a NVR.

My Dell with its i5 processor seems to not be up to the job depending on what I read.

So from the experts here if you were going to use a PC for up to 4 3meg cameras and wanted to store/loop a weeks worth of each camera onto a external hard drive what would you buy? Keeping in mind this is for home use.

You have not done the proper research..a dvr card is for analog cameras. You have no need for that.

The cpu requirements are directly related to the type of VMS software you are using AND the resolution of the cameras. Stating you have an i5 processor without the exact model is meaningless as there are many variants of the i5 whose performance vary greatly.

There are no such DVR cards for Mega Pixel Cameras. Forget. Buy much cheaper 720P IP Cameras and its accompanied software for your PC. Then, you do not need worry about performances of PC and HDD size. You won't believe that 3MP or 4MP are based on the same image sensor of 720P. No theoretical gain, but ripping off the innocent users who think more pixels would give the more clearer video images. Simply expanding pixel counts do cause more issues: More powerful CPU or back end NVR, more HDD, more network bandwidth, more latency, more lagging, bad night vision with a lot noise, complicating softwares, all things. Of course, these could be welcome, if 3MP is at least giving you 2.5 times more contrast / detail/ true fidelity than 720P. But the time is not yet to come.

There are no such DVR cards for Mega Pixel Cameras. Forget. Buy much cheaper 720P IP Cameras and its accompanied software for your PC. Then, you do not need worry about performances of PC and HDD size. You won't believe that 3MP or 4MP are based on the same image sensor of 720P. No theoretical gain, but ripping off the innocent users who think more pixels would give the more clearer video images. Simply expanding pixel counts do cause more issues: More powerful CPU or back end NVR, more HDD, more network bandwidth, more latency, more lagging, bad night vision with a lot noise, complicating softwares, all things. Of course, these could be welcome, if 3MP is at least giving you 2.5 times more contrast / detail/ true fidelity than 720P. But the time is not yet to come.

There is a gain. The image is clearer..there is a much higher pixel per in count going from 720p to 1080p

We have youtube here in the US. You chine sellers of junk cant lie to us anymore.

The 720p will also have less FOV than the 1080p.

The technology is here. We use it. Im surprised you havent seen it in china yet. Strange.

I had no issues with an I3 running 5 3mp cams and Blue Iris but at 7 3mp cams it got a little stressed during playback operations.

Blue Iris is CPU intensive. I've read that Hikvision's free IVMS-4200 program is very resource friendly but it must be used with their cams.

I had no issues with an I3 running 5 3mp cams and Blue Iris but at 7 3mp cams it got a little stressed during playback operations.

Blue Iris is CPU intensive. I've read that Hikvision's free IVMS-4200 program is very resource friendly but it must be used with their cams.

Wouldn't having dedicated hardware such as DVR card help if its such a resource hog? I realize that DVR are for analog but wouldn't dedicated hardware for that task help take the load off the processor?

Also what processor should be considered the recommended minimum if you are running into performance lagging?