Hi everybody,

I started working in a new company where they need to improve the cctv system, but i do not know anything exept what i learned this days. In the cctv system there are like 18 cameras and want to add 11 1.3mp IP cameras more. All cameras are connected to de same swtich and the same with all the servers ( dns, dhcp, file, etc. that is very bad and need to be improved too, but then). The analogic cameras has its own encoder and then conected to the LAN as IP cameras.

The cctv server is a IMB xeon e5310 with 3gb ram with a windows server 2003 and running genetec omnicast 4.8. The question i have is which is the bandwidth that this NVR supports ( is well called it NVR?).

Sorry for my english and my lack of knowledge about the topic.

Thanks in advance.

regards.

to clarify, are the cameras on their own network or are cameras on the same network with everything else like PCs?

NVR bandwith is determined by the network card. Its either 100MBPS or 1GBPS (1000MBPS). If it is a 100MB, it can easily and cheaply be upgraded to a 1GB card.

The cameras are in the same network. All network cards and switchs are 1Gb, and the utp is 5e.

So in conclusion i can connect the number of camera that the network and software support (genetec omnicast 4.8 )?

And other quiestion about the network, is it necessary to have physically separate networks (with routers) or is it enought with VLANs?

Thanks thanks.

Personally I would separate the networks. You'd just need to buy another switch and change the IP address to the NVR to a different subset. So if the main network is 192.168.1.xxx, make the camera network 192.168.0.xxx

Since you only have one server in your system then all Omnicast services are on one box.

The bandwith limit is normally 250 to 300mbps per server on a Omnicast system. I wouldn't go that high on your system since that box is also running the directory server.

Keep in mind that Omnicast is a legacy system and may not support the cameras you add.

After Omnicast 4.8 it channged to Security Center 5.0, then 5.1, 5.2...... and is now on 5.4.

Very much thanks, i checked the cameras before buying.

But what do you mean with "is also running the directory server", what is that directory server? Are u meaning that is running other stuff and it is not a dedicated nvr?

Do you recommend a migration to security center? why? Which software will u choose considering that money is not problem and u want to handle 30 cameras (and maybe next 60 cameras)?

Thanks again.

Genetec is designed for a large Enterprise system. Systems with 1000+ cameras.

Multiple servers with a dedicated directory server and media router.

The directory server handles all licensing, and client connections.

Your system has everything in one box.

A system your size I would use Avigilon if it will support your cameras.

Hi I generally use two network card one on motherboard and one additional , one used as input and other as output so client network is always separate then camera network. Also use raid array as HDD read/ write rate is not good enough.