Sign in to follow this  
norman

Feed aggregation

I see there are several packages out there for PC-based CCTV solutions. In addition to recording, I want the ability to group sets of cameras into a virtual feed that is then streamed to several computers for monitoring. I want to have several groups of these for different users. I've looked at the web sites for some products, not I can't determine which products can handle this.

I want at least 6 groups, each having 4-20 cameras. I'd like to have them arranged in a specific way and then serve one video stream containing these smaller images to any PCs on our network that want to view. Even better would be the ability to click on one image and expand. We'd definitely prefer in a web window, but desktop software could work assuming it supports Macs and PCs.

Think you are overthinking the solution.

Most DVR support dual stream. A substream that you can set to send lower bitrate video feed , and a mainstream that's use for recording and viewing.

Some also support triple stream, another event stream to support even higher bitrate recording when motion/event's triggered.

In case of HIKVISION's interface, you can group the cameras to different userid, each id can only view certain cameras.

Depending on the client software you use (mobile, pc, etc), it'll either enable you to manually or automatically select the appropriate stream to view.

If you are looking at streaming to large number of clients, they also support streamserver configuration (something like a videofeed proxy server). One of the pc client in each area can be configured as a streamserver, so that other pc in the same network will share the videofeed instead of pulling multiple connection directly from the DVR.

I prefer to use non-pc based DVR nowadays. No OS issues/support to worry about.

Using the DVR in this case basically supports all your requirement.

Thanks for the reply. My follow-up didn't appear to get posted, so here's another attempt.

I've looked at DVRs, and they won't cut it. We'll want at least 30 users viewing feeds simultaneously. Each will view a subset, but each camera will be viewed by 10 people. Combining multiple feeds saves bandwidth (since we'll make the images smaller) and ensures they are in the same order for everyone. That makes configuration of each station easier, too.

We'll want all channels recorded (2-weeks of HD video per camera). PCs are easier to maintain for us, since we have hundreds of them. Fixing them is also much easier, and adding storage is very easy (e.g. a disk shelf with several hundred TB with RAID.)

A video proxy is sort of what we want, although one that combines it with recording would be more convenient. I just can't find details on products that do this. I have looked into HIKVISION based on your comment, although the web site provides almost no useful information as to the capabilities of the software.

I've looked at DVRs, and they won't cut it. We'll want at least 30 users viewing feeds simultaneously. Each will view a subset, but each camera will be viewed by 10 people. Combining multiple feeds saves bandwidth (since we'll make the images smaller) and ensures they are in the same order for everyone. That makes configuration of each station easier, too.

A video proxy is sort of what we want, although one that combines it with recording would be more convenient. I just can't find details on products that do this. I have looked into HIKVISION based on your comment, although the web site provides almost no useful information as to the capabilities of the software.

HIKVISION comes with a Video Proxy Software. It enable you to setup a PC as a proxy to distribute the camera feed to multiple viewers while pulling only 1 feed from the camera.

We'll want all channels recorded (2-weeks of HD video per camera). PCs are easier to maintain for us, since we have hundreds of them. Fixing them is also much easier, and adding storage is very easy (e.g. a disk shelf with several hundred TB with RAID.)

It support NAS/SAN as well.

Btw, I don't work for them. If you tried using a lot of Standalone DVRs and then PC Based DVRs, you won't find PC DVR easier to maintain.

Harddisk fail. It's just a matter of when. When Standalone DVR, the harddisk is just use for purely storage. Any failure you'll just need to swap it out and the system still works with the configuration. With PC DVR, the OS, Software and Configuration is stored on it. When it failed, restoring from backup is a lot harder and time consuming.

This, among other stability issues. Cost of using the Standalone DVR is also cheaper than using PC after considering licenses for os, etc.

Most of the time, reading about the specs can only bring you so far. You gotta get a unit and try it out. Otherwise, speak to a consultant in your area to see what they can recommend.

Hi. If you need PC based then avigilon and if you use there cameras you have no licence costs. From reading your needs avigilon will work.

There is also avermedia that also have multi output screen and is Windows based.

Dahua also will do your needs with multimedia and multi screen

Good thing about the dahua is you have h265 stream and will help with the data