Mr. Anonymous

Best DVR Software You Use?

Again it would not be a problem .... Cameras will be on own local network

You missed the part about my heavy local usage, that is the problem with this. I run a file server within my home I stream files from to other computers in my home.

2-4Mbps helps for an estimate....or is it mbps? This was also a thought if I did not want to run new cables to use IP cameras they have wireless IP cameras. However I already use 100% of my 802.11 N/AC when streaming files from my NAS to laptop (intermittently) so I was wondering if I could dedicate a router for cameras then feed it into my hardwired lan. This would avoid any camera traffic going through the router I use for my phone and laptop.

Again it would not be a problem .... Cameras will be on own local network

You missed the part about my heavy local usage, that is the problem with this. I run a file server within my home I stream files from to other computers in my home.

2-4Mbps helps for an estimate....or is it mbps? This was also a thought if I did not want to run new cables to use IP cameras they have wireless IP cameras. However I already use 100% of my 802.11 N/AC when streaming files from my NAS to laptop (intermittently) so I was wondering if I could dedicate a router for cameras then feed it into my hardwired lan. This would avoid any camera traffic going through the router I use for my phone and laptop.

Cvi tvi IP ... They are all good I like cvi better than tvi as everything is done at camera like IP.

But you are right keep everything on its own cables (coax) IP on cat5 or 6 all back to a switch

You said in another post you have 1000m runs that's a problem for IP you will need extenders to go that far

Cvi or tvi will have no problems and even have 4 cameras down one coax

I am REALLY liking the idea of using a secondary NIC and wireless router to isolate my CCTV! This way I can go wireless and use the existing coax as power lines.

My long 1000ft run is the total of several channels, I may be able to get away without any extenders because I will be able to locate the CCTV router closer to the cameras.

4 cameras down a single coax? How does this work? CVI has in-cam encoding? I thought it stands for composite video interface? Therefor outputting an analog composite stream to a BNC DVI?

I am REALLY liking the idea of using a secondary NIC and wireless router to isolate my CCTV! This way I can go wireless and use the existing coax as power lines.

My long 1000ft run is the total of several channels, I may be able to get away without any extenders because I will be able to locate the CCTV router closer to the cameras.

4 cameras down a single coax? How does this work? CVI has in-cam encoding? I thought it stands for composite video interface? Therefor outputting an analog composite stream to a BNC DVI?

Cvi is realtime digital over coax and is also both ways .... One coax will take video audio and PTZ control and all camera function

Tvi can't do that

4 down one cable ... Daisy chain with BNC Ts then run all 4 down one cable upto 1500m. ( can do 8 but not needed to do that yet)

Good surgestion from ak347. Till you mentioned wireless. Bad idea

Luckily I already have RG6 to all locations so sending multiple streams down a single cable will not be a needed requirement. From some comparisons I think I will definitely stay with TVI for image clarity. I will order an HD-TVI DVR and use that for a while, I can add IP cameras to that if need be as well.

Why is wireless a bad idea??

Luckily I already have RG6 to all locations so sending multiple streams down a single cable will not be a needed requirement. From some comparisons I think I will definitely stay with TVI for image clarity. I will order an HD-TVI DVR and use that for a while, I can add IP cameras to that if need be as well.

Image clarity is the same cvi or tvi... Both are 2mp .... Also cvi recorders also take tvi and IP and cheaper than tvi

If going tvi then wait a month or so as new tvi3 is out ..... And you can't use old tvi on new tvi3 recorders

Here is what you do

HD TVI ----> to Sw----> to second NIC

or directly to a second NIC

got it ?

I saw a really good video and between CVI and TVI I kind of liked the TVI:

There is a recorder on eBay that claims 5mp: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-2MP-HD-TVI-DVR-8Ch-Tribrid-support-Analog-1080P-TVI-IP-Camera-Up-to-5MP-/151900370093?hash=item235df7b4ad:g:4fEAAOSwH71XPe~6

TVI3!? I will start that research now, great advice.

Here is what you do

HD TVI ----> to Sw----> to second NIC

or directly to a second NIC

got it ?

HD TVI --(RG6)---> DVR ---> Second NIC

I do not really need a secondary NIC in this case in the server, only if I was pulling 8 individual IP cameras raw was my thought. Once I am streaming all the channels compressed from the DVR I see no need for the second NIC.

My thought on the second NIC was this, with 8 IP cams all wireless:

LAPTOPS/PHONES --(802.11N/AC)---> ROUTER #1 --(CAT6)---> SERVER NIC #1 - Load from streaming files

ALL WIFI CAMS --(802.11N/AC)---> ROUTER #2 --(CAT6)---> SERVER NIC #2 - Load from cameras only

My thought on the second NIC was this, with 8 IP cams all wireless:

LAPTOPS/PHONES --(802.11N/AC)---> ROUTER #1 --(CAT6)---> SERVER NIC #1 - Load from streaming files

ALL WIFI CAMS --(802.11N/AC)---> ROUTER #2 --(CAT6)---> SERVER NIC #2 - Load from cameras only

Connect DVR to Router#2 then All your traffic from security equipment will be isolated

Yes I would do the same on the opposite side and feed my hardwired PCs into router #1. This makes a lot of sense

If I paid for a copy of BlueIris, or something similar, I could skip the entire cost of a DVR...and start investing in wireless IP cameras.